Suggestions for a remote tramp and campsite in NI

Hi, Can anyone thing of ideas for a 3-day mission somewhere remote with a cool campsite (maybe beside river, or up high, or something)? I was thinking of taking a fri or mon off work and walking in somewhere really remote on day1, spending day2 lazing round the place, then walking out on day3. I'm in Auck, so purhaps round central plateau somewhere? Somewhere memorable and native and leaving you feeling like you visited some good old fashioned NZ outdoors. Thanks heaps for any ideas! Chris
Lots of remote tramping in the Ureweras.
waipakihi river is a nice place to camp - or a bit further afield the rangitikei from urchin - that would be a long day (summer day length may be better) - plus the track down from thunderbolt to the rangitikei may not be marked - but this would fit the "mission" bill and the "somewhere remote" request nicely - :)
Thanks mrfizz, I'll look that one up. Sounds great!
Without knowing how experienced or fit you are no one can give a sensible suggestion. If you have the experience for a remote solo winter trip, you will have some good ideas of your own. The Waipakihi does have the nicest camping I know but unless you're a penguin it will be a mission at this time of year. Try the Kaimais: Thompsons track to Kauritatahi, then the hut that's not on the map, then follow the old North South track to Wairere Falls. Would be interested to hear where you got to. Have fun !

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by ccoutts
On 21 June 2011
Replies 4
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown