Anatoki - Boulder Lake route

Aside from the route via Yuletide Peak, does anyone know of a (more) direct route between Boulder Lake and Anatoki Forks hut ? From the map (BP24-Takaka), there appear to be a couple of possibilities, assuming the Anatoki River can be crossed near the hut (is that possible in normal flow levels ?) : 1. head N up the spur to spot height 1407, NW across ridge to spot height 1452, Caesers Knob and down the spur betweem Ambrose and Portia creeks to Boulder Lake. 2. head NW up the spur to spot height 1370 then N to Calphurnia Peak (1462), ENE to spot height 1452, Caesers Knob and down the spur betweem Ambrose and Portia creeks to Boulder Lake. Any thoughts ?
So, do I assume no-one's aware of a shortcut from Boulder Lake to Anatoki Forks Hut ? I'll aim to investigate next time I'm NZ-tramping (2012 hopefully).
Hi. Be good to hear back about your proposed route.
Actually this trip is described in the first (1988) edition of 101 Great Tramps in NZ (Pickering/Smith). P92. ...from Anatoki Forks hut ..... "return a short distance along the track (5 minutes) to where an unmarked but clearly defined side-trail goes down to the old Anatoki Hut, now nearly derelict. Follow the river down to the second side-creek heading due North. It's un-named. Cross the Anatoki and head straight up this creek for 3km to a low tussock saddle at its head (1250m). Slate River Peak looms close as does the head of the rarely visited Snow River. Climbing steadily, follow the ridgeline around in a semi-circle of tops to Caesar Knob (1468m). Boulder Lake stands clear below with the peculiarly barren Lead Hills beyond. The Dragons Teeth can be seen well to the south. Go along from Caeser Knob for a few minutes then descend a long spur between Portia and Ambrosia Creeks (420m) to the lakeside. Unfortunately there's 90m of scrub to breakthrough first. ..... " Graded easy/medium Keep in mind this was written in the 80's. (The side-trail's probably long gone). But you should get the general idea of the route.
Thanks stevep - I appreciate the reply. That looks quite feasible (on the map :). As most of my tramping is in the drier Australian bush, I strongly lean to walking on spurs (more open) rather than gullies/creeks (prone to blackberry infestation) so I had roughed out a route up the spur to the west of the un-named creek. If I get to tramp this region I'll write a track note and update this thread.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by bernieq
On 30 May 2011
Replies 4
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown