Greenstone, then Routeburn --- thoughts?

I am going to be on the South Island in late March and am looking for a good 7 day tramp. Thinking of doing the Greenstone tramp (starting from Elfin Bay) and then continuing on the Routeburn. Does anyone have any info on this? Seems like an easy 7 day tramp. Also, I would be doing it solo. I'm an experienced trekker so this seems reasonable given that the trails are well traveled. Would anyone advise against solo trekking? Thanks
It should be a good Tramp 2 years ago walked the Routeburn,Caples then Greenstone in one go.The Caples is the hardest of the Three. In general i dont think there is anything wrong with solo tramping as i allways solo tramp,i take a locator beacon with me and dont go off the track i let family know what i am doing and fill in hut books and fill out the intentions form at the doc office Lindsay
Yes, it has a well deserved reputation - I did the Routeburn then Greenstone in April 2009 - 5 days. The Routeburn (3 days) included 3 people not used to overnight tramping (the plan saw them head out to the Divide and back to Queenstown). We had an easy tramp down the Greenstone (2 days). A 7 day tramp would leave you a lot of time for side trips (Conical Hill, Key Summit). Our original plan was to walk the Routeburn then the Caples but heavy rain (185mm in 14hrs) made it a bit risky. Another tramp worthy of consideration is the Travers-Sabine loop (out from St Arnaud) - 6 to 8 days. Solo tramping? no problem; do the appropriate preparation (as Lindsay said), take sufficient gear for the conditions and stay within your comfort zone (and have fun!)

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by deepsea
On 15 February 2011
Replies 2
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown