Maungahuka at Easter

Hi - I want to tramp the loop from Otaki Forks via Kime, Maungahuka, Andersons, Waitewaewae (or vice versa) at Easter. I've tramped a bit in the area and know what the terrain is like, and am keen to have a crack at that ladder! I'm a 50 year old female, pretty fit, but could be on the slower side. If anyone's interested let me know. Cheers Erica
26 comments
11–20 of 26

Well Easter is fine for me as well. Just let me know how you guys travel to Otaki Forks? I am based in Auckland and would like flight down rather than bring down and leave my vehicle there at track start for so many days. Anyone can give me a lift?
To Erica; if you've already been to Anderson Memorial, you've seen the lay of the land and you already have an appreciation of the tops through here. You are the best-placed person to judge if you are up for it. Lugging a heavy pack up and down some hills for training is quite beneficial. I like solo tramping because you have to have all the bases covered yourself and when you rise and meet that challenge it seems more rewarding. But you've got to take all those steps to stay safe. And keep a cool head, and that comes from experience, which you already have. The biggest risk, apart from the weather, is injury. So I always do double-takes through tricky stuff to avoid accidents. Staying focused is important. Plus the beacon. The rest is just sustaining what you did to Anderson Memorial for a few hours longer. Which is why, if weather permits, I like starting at dawn and stop for a cooked lunch. Always makes the tramp more enjoyable. John
Hi Lucky - Otaki Forks is basically my back yard. I live and work close by and would be unable to collect you from Wellington airport, sorry. I don't know if Philip would be able to but he would probably not go via Wellington if travelling from Masterton. To John: thanks for the good advice Cheers Erica
I work in Wgtn so picking everyone up would be fine by me.
Hi Philip, Thanks for your kindness. Are you working until Thursday 21st April? If we aimed to stay in Field Hut or Kime Hut on Thursday as Erica proposed, then I must catch a flight on Wednesday and find an accommodation. What date do you reckon for picking me up? I might have a partner coming with me. Yet to confirm. Is it ok? Lucky77
I'm totally flexible about time. Flying down mid-afternoon Thursday would work ok though, it's less than a couple of hours drive up to Otaki and walking up the track in the late evening night to Field (or even Kime if it's a pleasant night) is a fine old Tararua tradition. It's often more pleasant getting that part of the effort over in the cool of the night. Just a suggestion.
Hi - Going straight to Kime would get the major climb out of the way and then we'd have a much easier day to Maungahuka on Friday. That suits me if the weather is right.
Hi Guys, Looks like an exciting trip you have planned. I have done Vossler hut to Andersons in one day with a long lunch at Maungahuka. It was a fine summer day and we got so short of water we drank out of small puddles on the climb up Kahiwiroa. Vossler hut was just north, over the hill from Kime. The current incarnation of Kime was just being built (78) and Vossler I think was moved to Andersons to replace an old semi-circular hut,probably an ex force WW2 Nissan hut. It was either Vossler or the old Mid Otaki hut that used to sit at the bottom of the now ex track down from Keliher. The ladder is a novelty but thats about all, other comments say it all, the ridge gets gradually more rugged as you approach but if you are experienced trampers none is overly demanding in average or better conditions. Wind is a problem but when is it ever windy in the Tararuas at Easter. Once you get to the long bush saddle after Kahiwiroa you can relax a little though the track used to periodically disappear but you are almost at Andersons and have the protection of the bush most of the way home from there. Haven't been that way for years but was at Maungahuka last year (from Wid Waiohine back to Neill Forks). The new hut doesn't have the charm of the old. You can get from Andersons to the Forks in a longish day if you get delayed. Have a great trip.
Hi bmackz - thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Am looking forward to this Erica
And just for the record... this trip went off as planned. Each has our own reasons for being especially pleased to have pulled this off. We got to Kime in the dark on the Thursday night, then set off north along the main ridge Friday morning in a stiff 20-30mph wind and poor visibility... but not too cold. We all got a bit of a shock at the first rocky step up Tinui, things looked a lot more intimidating than we were expecting at that point, but fortunately a young bloke (a professional guide) came past the other way and reassured us that things got no worse than this... so we kept on. The actual infamous steel ladder is the easy part, it's getting onto and off it thats the fun... but quite manageable for experienced trampers. Thousands have done this route after all.. but you don't want to drag someone into it who doesn't want to do it, or lacks confidence with heights. From Maungahuka we made it to Andersons, then onto Waitewaiwai a little after dark that day. There's a gnarly eroded bit on Wright just before Aokaparangi that gets your attention, and then a 30m downward climb on the north side of Aokap that would be no fun at all if it was iced up. Over Junction Knob got a bit wet and cold but overall we beat the worst of the weather that has set in since we got back. Overall the Tararua weather gods were kind if not beneficient... Overall I managed to loose another 2kg on the trip and feel hugely rewarded for the effort. It's a trip I've wanted to do for ages, and it's finally happened with good tramping companions in good style. Thanks to all.
11–20 of 26

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by Erica0960
On 14 February 2011
Replies 25
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown