Kepler track in april

hi, i'm an aussie newbie. My wife and i are planning to walk the kepler track at easter. I know its late in the season but its the only time we could get off. I would really appreciate some advice. Whats the likelihood of snow? Are the huts heated? If so will a light sleeping bag suffice or should we bring the minus ten degree bags. I understand that the huts have cooking rings, but should we bring our own anyway? it might come in handy for a hot soup on the track. Should we bring a tent as a safety precaution.? We have three litre water bladders. How far between water collection points? Can we get away with just carrying a litre of water each. As you can see i'm a bit of a "gram nazi", so any advice on carrying the lightest load without compromising safety would be appreciated.
I reckon you might want to take a jumper :-) April can be warm, but can also get damn chilly. a really small stove (msr whisperlite?) might be a little help in case... will the tracks still be busy then ? might want to take a bivy bag so you can sleep outside in peace :-) if you're a gram nazi then forget the tent - just the bivy bag. maybe take a light down jacket to help with the lighter sleeping bag, in case. (or go to PHD in the UK and get their really light, really warm bags :-) snow anytime of year, so take appropriate boots/gaiters etc. if it gets really chilly, the bladders will freeze (the tube part at least) so take a bottle too. all the above is my opinion - pinch of salt and all that. :-)
Thanks sunny. I hadnt considered the water freezing in the bladder tube. Where we walk, the issue is that the bladder gets too warm. I guess a couple of 1 litre bottles should suffice?
Considering it'll be April, it won't get hot like over here, so i reckon if you like less grams then 1 L each and take tablets to sterilize the creek water.
the 2nd day over Luxmore saddle will be the dry day. so beware if you only have 1L each. (ideally do this day in clear weather cause its the best view :-) at $50 a night, the huts aren't cheap tho !

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by mtbarney
On 11 February 2011
Replies 4
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown