Advice on pack, boots and tent

Hello everyone. :) I'm in the process of buying new gear. I've read quite a number of advice pieces posted here and many other places. But so far, I haven't answered all my questions. In terms of what hiking I'll be doing, I'm looking at starting off with overnights (have already done many day hikes) and extending to 7 day trips where I could be bush-bashing or following alpine terrain. My main focus points for equipment are on durability, versatility, simplicity and lightweight (in that order). I'm hoping some of the seasoned veterans can help steer me in the right direction. In terms of packs, I've had a quick look and Osprey seems to appeal to me (among others). In particular, I just found this one now: http://www.outsidesports.co.nz/Brands/Osprey/SOOSP1026/Osprey-Mens-Aether-70L.html That seems to be about the correct size for me, and has roughly all the right features. For that price, is there any reason I should not buy it? Or are there any alternatives for around $300-$350 that would be better? I also saw this guy's packs here, and has anyone had any experience with them: http://www.tramplight.co.nz/page_2.html There are some nice packs from Cactus Climbing - but they're about double the price (I love their durability though), has anyone had any experience with them - worth the extra maybe? In terms of boots. I have no idea. I think that I'm less worried about warmth (as I'd rather double-up socks than have a thick boot) than I am about waterproofing. I want to use the boots for bush-bashing, and following existing trails on day hikes. I don't think I'll use them in snow. I would prefer to avoid fancy membranes and opt for more durable options. Based on this - I think some kind of leather boot would be ideal. Or unless there are synthetic boots which match leather in terms of durability and breathability? Anything I should think about to narrow down the choice? This one caught my attention: http://www.bivouac.co.nz/footwear/mens-footwear/mens-boots/asolo-mens-tps-535-v-full-grain-leather-wide-boot-1.html Anything that would be similar to that? And in terms of tents, I'm looking for a free-standing tent that's quite lightweight. Are there any good lightweight tents with waterproof, durable flys? I'd like to be able to use the fly separately. The weight isn't so important here as much as durability, waterproofing, windproofing and versatility are. What would you recommend to me as a 1-2 person tent based on this? If anyone can offer any helpful advice, I'd be very grateful. Cheers, CBL_Jon
Re packs and boots. Its more important that it fits right than brand as long as its good quality. Last year I bought myself a new pack as I thought that my old pack was starting to look a little rough even though it worked fine. First trip with new pack showed the old one was far from working fine. Still doubled my money on trademe on the old pack. New pack was a Macpack Torlese. The Torlese was a half price special at 200 Just went looking for a new pack for the wife and tried on more than 20 packs before ending up with a Katmandu one on clearance price of 239. They could manage a 75 litre pack on a size one frame and fit a larger than standard waist belt in the price. In boots I tried on several sets before buying. I agree that solid leather is best. Im sure others will disagree. Still a good 3 to 4 season boot will last a very long time so if its at all uncomfortable you will be cursing it for just as long
Gear is such a personal thing – and advice from users tends to support their previous decisions. With these caveats, I’d make the following observations : Packs: check out Aarn packs www.aarnpacks.com – Since June 2009, I’ve walked 800km (from 1 to 17 night trips, from desert (Larapinta trail) to alpine (Western Arthurs)) with a Natural Balance pack and have only praise for the design and it’s functionality. These packs have two pockets at the front to balance the main pack on the back (but there is much more to them than that). I had a Lowe Alpine pack for 30 years and found it comfortable enough although, as I’ve aged, a little pain in the neck and shoulders at the end of the day was becoming annoying. With the NB there is no weight on the shoulders at all – none – it’s all on the hips. Consequently, no strain on neck, shoulders, back. The balance pockets bring the centre of gravity back inside the body and really does reduce total energy expenditure through the day. Boots : given your requirements (off-track, rocky/scree slopes, wet) I would only consider full leather boots - synthetic boots just don’t last. My current pair are Vasque and have been great – but what geeves says about fit is certainly correct – the brand doesn’t really matter. Define your criteria (eg full leather, high ankle cover, toe protection, less than $x, etc) then go try on lots of boots until you find a pair that feel very comfortable. Tent : hmmm, always a tough one. I don’t think the ideal tent exists (4 season, free standing, weighs 0.5kg, carries itself, makes good coffee …). However, I would make the following recommendations : free-standing (ie dome), 2-person (the extra space is valuable in crap weather), >7,000mmHg floor. No fly will retain it’s original proof-ness – in time (a year or two) it will need to have the DWR coating rejuvenated (not difficult or expensive) and seam-sealing will also deteriorate in time – more important is that the fly reaches the ground – if it doesn’t, in wind and rain, a lot of water can be blown under the fly and into the tent. Beware of too much mesh – it reduces the weight of the inner but also makes the tent colder. Have fun buying :)
Macpac produce a very good single, as do MSR. A full leather boot is needed for 7 dayer's. Always pack for the worst. Snow, can and does, fall in the mountains of the South at anytime of the year. Temperatures drop to below zero at night, even in summer.
Hello again everyone. :) When I posted this topic, I received an error message, and after numerous attempts at re-posting - I assumed this topic hadn't been posted, which is why I didn't come back sooner. Thank you everyone for your replies. I currently use a Dakine helipack for my general purpose backpack, and it's been perfect. But I've noticed that it's wearing out at the back. This swayed my decision massively when I was buying a pack. So after some reading around, I decided to buy a Cactus Climbing Deepwinter (got a good deal on it too). It's very durable, and that's what I like about it. It weighs around 2.4kg, and fits great. I don't think it'll be breaking any time soon, so I might buy another sub-1kg pack when I have sorted all of my gear out (have decided to go ultralight) and know the smallest pack I can get away with. It's also very minimalist in terms of zips and pockets. The less seams the better I believe. I have also read (on other ultralight sources) that boots are not really needed for summer hiking. With this in mind, I think I'll be buying a pair of trail shoes or hiking shoes for summer, and then buying some leather boots for autumn/winter. And I have purchased a Tarptent Moment as well too. It weighs about 800g or so, and I decided to buy it because it has a ridiculously short set-up time (sub 1-min), it has a lot of customizability in terms of set-up, and it can be free-standing (with the extra pole brought along). I've yet to seam-seal it though, so I haven't tried it yet. I've still got a lot of stuff to buy, but I think I'm just about ready to go on an overnight. There's a few more clothes, a sleeping mat, sleeping quilt/bag and miscellaneous items left to go though. If there's any genius tips that anyone else has, I'd be very happy with them.
Hello there, check out the other thread under the gear heading, "Buying Narrow Boots", if you haven't already seen it. Regarding packs there is also a thread on packs somewhere. But here I'll quickly endorse what "bernieq" said & say check out the Aarn packs. [I've done 40 years of regular pack carrying including long stints working in the bush & mountains and many pack styles have been tried over the years] My Aarn pack, a Guiding Light mark 1, would be my favourite of all the packs I've owned. The Aarn packs have evolved a bit since the mark 1 making them even better now. I'll look to Aarn if I need another pack. Having said that MacPac make some good adequate comfortable packs but I think Aarn beats them on design.
Well, I swear by Meindl Island Pro boots, even though they cost an arm and leg. I reckon if you go lame a couple of days from from the road-ending, you are pretty much up the proverbial, so why take the chance? I've hammered them in all kinds of situations- bush-bashing, rivers, snow & rock - for a decade now and they always get me through. They seem to have the right combination of ankle support, toughness and grip for our bush, yet they are German. Go figure. As for packs, I've tried out the occasional lightweight model, but frankly they can't cope with bush-bashing. My favourite is the Macpac Torre, because it is pretty tough and has that quantum harness for heavy loads. The Cascade is also popular. It is no surprise that the most common brand you will find in huts in the Tararuas is Macpac, for good reason. Not sure what the quality is like now they are made in China, however.
Regarding boots it has to depend on where you are walking. For example, if you're walking in Fiordland then trail shoes aren't going to last you long. The rock and bush just tears them to shreds. I have had a few pairs fall apart on me before giving in and buying a pair of Meindls. However, I have weak ankles so won't take any risks with my feet! I also hate wet feet and it's bliss being able to walk straight through the mud rather than dance around.
I bought a 46L EXOS series Osprey pack for $150 and am happy with it. It weighs just over a kg and has a nice vented back. My previous pack (GoLite Pinnacle) gave me chafing as it sat right up against my back and when I got hot flushes (every 40 minutes) it was not good. I enjoy all the little features on it e.g. the elastic set up to put your pole away if you need to use your hands. I then bought the bigger version for my neice but it cost $100 more... Meindls have a good reputation. I must check out the Tarptent moment you bought.
Go for boots all the way. don't want shoes falling apart mid trek. there are some really light synthetic boots these days, so altho not as solid as leather, certainly better than a pair of shoes ! macpac packs all the way :-) My cascade is 20yrs old and still going strong. with re. tents, my only real design hate is the zip in the middle of the long wall. it holds a lot of tension there. a better idea is having an entrance at the end so no tension on the poor zip. (see the bibler eldorado for a good example) so for tents (and packs) zips are all going fail eventually, so get gear that won't completely die when this happens. mountain designs sleep bags are good, PHD bags are the best :-) ($$$) happy shopping.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by CBL_Jon
On 4 February 2011
Replies 9
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown