Deception River Hot Pools

Hello again everyone! I think the thread I started on this topic got lost in the shifting yesterday so I'll start it up again. I'm planning a trip over Goat Pass and down Deception River soon and I had heard about a mysterious hot pool in the area. So far none of the literature on this pool has been very helpful in nailing down the exact location. They all seem to suggest a long time spent searching. It seems as though it is somewhere around Spray Creek on the true right side of Deception River, but that is as much as I know. Does anyone have any idea how to find it? If you have found it, would you say it is worth the effort? Thanks for your help!
These are mentioned in Sally Jackson's "Hot Springs of New Zealand": "While most people smell the elusive wafts of sulphur, few of them ever find the small hot pool that hides in the back of a flood channel." She gives the point: K33 981189, just south of Midday Creek. For such a well-used track, I can't help thinking they would be more developed if they were any good. Might be curiosity value only.
Those are my thoughts exactly. Well if I find them I'll be sure to report it.
Apparently they're not a hot spring as we understand it, Jim. They're not something you can get into!
Hi - this thread may be a bit old now but we were down the Deception River in the weekend and came across a warm sulphur creek running into the Deception River about 3/4's of the way down. I recall we thought it may have been Midday Creek as Mathew has mentioned above. Had a wee looksy around but couldnt find a specific area that was well utilised as the hot spring. Perhaps its just a paddle in the creek? But the sulphur smell and colour was unmistakable.
Yes there are pools, you need to scout around to find them. Worth the effort. Really hot and room for several people.
Hi Richard Any chance of a grid reference or summat?
Here you go GPS: -42.8295, 171.631333
1 deleted post from SeemsSemshurf

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by dspottydog
On 30 March 2008
Replies 8
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown