hiking sticks

since doing the Kepler, I have problems with my knees. So now I decided to buy some hiking sticks to take the weight off my knees, especially for downhill. I have seen sticks starting around 30$ in the local outdoor store. I dont have a clue what to look for. The right lenght, of course, but what else? what system of adjustable sticks really works and which will slowly get smaller because it doesnt? etc?
24 comments
21–24 of 24

Hi: Some people will like poles and some will not, frankly it all depends on how your joints work and if you have injury. I know that I could not tramp as much without them. I have used two hiking sticks for years now. As I see it they offer several advantages: 1. They take 20% off the knee loading on the flat, and up to 40% on downhill. 2. If you have knee joint problems like me they offer more support in the event of the knee suddenly giving that gives me the confidence to tramp at all. 3. They offer stabilty, especially on narrow or unstable ground and when you are top heavy with a pack. 4. Speed. When you get a rythm going you can really motor along, it's like cross-country skiing. I'm probably 30-50% faster with my poles than without - when I need to be. I look for poles that collapse (much easier to travel with) and have adjustable spring suspension. The best ones allow you to turn suspension on and off. Suspension on when going down hill, off when going up, either way on the flat. I also recommned that the handles be slightly at an angle to the line of the pole, it really reduces the strain on the wrists. You can also get poles that act as monopods, so you can use them to stabilize your camera for longer exposures. Finally I have used my poles with a tarp for an emergency shelter. They can be amazingly versatile.
Yup, they're great for using when boulder hopping across rivers. Another use is to part the vegetation when walking on through vegetation where you can't see the ground to place your foot e.g. ferns, tussock and holding the matagouri at bay while you step past. I've also placed the pole on the outside of my boot to stabilize the foot placement on suspect greasy rocks, slopes and moss.
Agree that a 'hiking stick' is useful. I don't use shop bought treking poles though but use a slasher, ice axe, longish alloy pole with a point on the end or a stick. Only use one which is swapped from hand to hand as terrain & vegetation dictates. (I like to keep one hand free) The slasher is a very useful multi purpose aid that also allows you to do track maintenance while you walk. I do a lot of off track walking in old mining areas that are heavily vegetated. Here a slasher or pole/stick is required at times to check that the ground in front of you is safe to walk on. Old mine shafts, pits & water races can be largely obscured by moss, ferns etc. Many many times my slasher has confirmed that the ground in front of me is not safe to walk on.
There are 2 ways of using poles and they are completely different. hardyt describes the 2 pole method, which a lot of people swear by but I haven't tried. Bit reluctant to burden myself with 2 poles on rough country. Most of us just use 1 pole, like a third leg, for extra balance and taking a bit of the strain off ageing limbs when needed.
21–24 of 24

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Frauke
On 27 December 2010
Replies 23
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown