Choosing a Tent

I am looking at buying a Coleman Spirit 2 tent for tramping but am not sure how good it will be here are some specs Size: 170L x 145W x 95H cm Material: Rip stop Polyester/Taped seams, 4000mm proofed, 190T Nylon floor. Frame: Aluminium 7001 -T6 poles Weight: Approx 1.98kg (including carry bag) Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
Not familiar with this particular tent but it looks like a MacPac Microlite, which I use. Compared to the Microlite it is about 400g heavier but about half the price. It seems to have a full mesh inner, which is popular overseas in places like Australia but I feel for NZ conditions it might be better to have an inner which will retain the heat a little more. Depends whether you plan to use it in summer or all year round. The ability to guy out the front like an awning is a good idea.
just wondering, Length is 170cm? hehe, just found it on their website, length is 270cm. I was wondering if you were supposed to curl up ;) looks good, the only thing I'd be curious about is wind stability with just one pole. Maybe you can find infos on that, or if you'll just use it in the bush it doesnt matter that much.
I wonder what the internal length of the tent is. Had a quick look but could find nothing because 270cm seems like a good length for a tent. Most inners are marginally to short for me (I am 193cm tall) and most inners are 200 at their most generous (Slopes ect normally reduce that).
I have the VauDe Taurus I which has a 220cm inner length. Just the feet have to share the space with the backpacks, but works fine as long as a Kea doesnt try to pinch your feet through the tent ;) The new Taurus model is heaver than the old one, though. I remember when I bought it to have been happy to get a tent under 2 kg.
Currently own two tents, one is the Exped Vela 1 which is a single person tent (might fit two midgets in a emergency). They claim a 245cm inner but the ends slope and narrow down very quickly making only about 220cm usable for anything other then extremely slow items. Only weighs 1.6kg which is relatively good for a tent. Also own a MacPac Minaret of a older design. Uncertain of the exact measurements but I normally end up touching the sides while sleeping. Being a Macpac it weighs around 300kg. Should really sell both and get something I might be happy with.
I bought this one on sale from bivouac on boxing day last year. http://marmot.com/products/twilight_2p It's been a great tent for $300. It claims to be 3 season, but I've used it in the mountains in winter without any issues. The two vestibules are great for storing gear, as well as getting out in the middle of the night without waking the other person. I've used it in some very high winds and rain, and always stayed dry. It has some very heavy duty box stitching on all the anchors, as well as on the guylines. Given the unique design of the poles as well, it easily breaks down and fits into my sleeping bag compartment of my backpack (Osprey Aether 70 Litre).

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by michaelb
On 15 December 2010
Replies 6
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown