Fatigued tramper airlifted from Tararuas

As a keen solo Tararua tramper, I get frustrated by the lack of detail in stories like this (below). His seventh day into a solo tramp, with multiple falls, cuts & hypothermia, but he was found near Jumbo, which is like a highway? And surely the weather wasn't too bad? Did he have adequate gear? A beacon? GPS? Could he navigate in cloud? Hard to learn any lessons from this reporting. If DOC could ever get out out of post-Cave Creek mode they might give us a debrief on their website. The FMC quarterly publication reports are great, but it takes too long.... A very cold, tired and injured Wellington tramper was airlifted today from the Tararua Ranges and taken to Wellington Hospital for treatment. The 45-year-old man was seven days into a solo tramp through the ranges when he became fatigued and hypothermic, Westpac Rescue Helicopter spokesman Dave Greenberg said. The tramper suffered cuts all over his lower body from multiple falls. "The man was found by two other trampers near Jumbo Hut and they raised the alarm with 111." The helicopter, with a Wellington Free Ambulance paramedic on-board, reached the injured man about 11.45am. The man was flown to Wellington Hospital where he was treated for his injuries and then discharged, Mr Greenberg said. NZPA 12/12/2010
14 comments
11–14 of 14

Thanks NZMSC for posting. Great to see you on the forums. This is a reminder what a great resource the Mountain Safety site is. There is a lots of great stuff there, well recommended.
Hey thanks for that. If you don't mind me asking, does the MSC have any further information on this incident that was especially relevant to the communication? Or are you also restricted to the Life Flight Trust's press release? I realise it might be inappropriate to discuss details, but as John stated when opening this thread, I also feel starved for information about what actually happened here and what might be learned from it.
Just extending this topic about finding accident reports, I've been browsing some of the old FMC bulletins which, since fairly recently, have been available online right back to volume 1 of May 1957 (what a great resource for back-country recreation history!). Many older bulletins include Accident Report sections with similar levels of detail that Graeme Kates has described on Softrock. Random examples are bulletin 64 (November 1980) and bulletin 54 (August 1977). They also often give full names, which might not happen as easily today. Visit http://www.fmc.org.nz/fmc-bulletin/ and follow the link under the 'Bulletin Archive' section near the end of the page. Unfortunately the older bulletins have been scanned in from paper copies with no text-recognition, so aren't text-searchable, but it's better than not having them. It's about a 360MB download if you tell the archive site to zip everything up and let you download it.
Good to know of that resource and glad that the MSC joined up and contributed to this thread. Regarding funding, the MSC used to get funding from the Lotteries Commission but the political decision was made not to continue this. Not sure how they manage now. I guess they cut their coat to fit their cloth. One thing they did do was lower the payout on compensation for mileage for volunteers. I thought it was too generous anyway compared with the tramping clubs' ones. Will John Key directing treasury and Kate Wilkinson to focus on tourism at the expense of NZ recreationists in the back country, not sure how this will affect MSC funding.
1 deleted post from Alucceeva
11–14 of 14

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by John Saunders
On 13 December 2010
Replies 13
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown