3 passes from east to west... transport options..

Does anyone know of transport options from either Lake Kaniere or Kokatahi to Hokitika or Greymouth when finishing this tramp??
I'm a local and don't know that there are any specific tramper shuttle businesses that do tramper drop offs/pickups here. I'm sure Hokitika Taxi's would but it might be pricey? There are houses not too far from the Kokatahi end of the walk. You could walk out to a house & ask to use their phone to summon a pick a up & that way you don't have to be out a specific time. Another option is to chance your arm hitching, once again toward Kokatahi rather than the Lake end as there is more traffic & you may strike tramper's vehicles coming out of the Toaroha/Kokatahi. Anther thought; have you considered doing the walk the other way round? It is easy to get public transport from Arthurs Pass or the Bealey pub which are are within walking distance of the Canterbury roadend. Also SH73 is a lot busier if hitching is a consideration.
Thanks for that info Glenn, had thought the taxi service might be a good option. Two of our group did the passes a couple of years ago and managed to hitch out, but it could be a bit trickier with four of us. Think I will give the taxi company a ring. Cheers for the help.
Hi there. We just finished the 3 passes. (held up 1 day with high rivers)There are a couple of options that we looked at. The taxi works out at about $80 to Hokitika and then you can get the shuttle at 12.30 to drop you off at Klondyke. I think that was about $35 PP. We thought about the reverse option but I'm not sure I want to go down Browning pass.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Magoozer
On 8 December 2010
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown