1 person tents

hi everyone, i am looking at buying a 1 person tent. Was wondering if anyone has any ideas on a specific brand/model? i want one that is 4 season that can be used above the bushline but also lightweight at the same time. any ideas?
22 comments
11–20 of 22

I used 2 Microlights. Features led to my liking the recent model include: light weight, 3+ season, ease & speed of pitch, breathable inner, and a possibility to do the cooking and packing in wet weather (the fly can be pitched on its own) One rather important feature not provided is Freestanding.
When I was first looking foe tents, I wanted a free standing one too. The only trouble is that such a tent needs more poles so is heavier. To be honest since having a Microlight it is a feature I have never missed. I replaced the pegs with Easton Aluminium pegs see http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_46136_mountain_hardwear_easton_aluminum_tent_reviews so have no problem pegging it out in any terrain. The only reason that I can see for the Microlight being 3 season and not 4 is that it has sloping sides which snow can accumulate on and you have to get out and shovel it away. Otherwise the wind footprint is so small that you can use it anywhere.
The MSR Hubba is a lightweight and freestanding tent. It was in my short shopping list after loosing the Microlight in Ruahines tussock during descent to the bushline at the end of March this year. Its tent floor seems not as strong as Microlights; therefore, a ground sheet is promoted. I am also unsure about the possibility of cooking in wet weather.
I am looking at buying a tent also, need a one person shell weighing 1.3 kg MAX, freestanding, and with alloy poles. I had looked at the microlight, hubbahubba and a few others on trade me they were all just a bit too heavy to justify spending the coin. Mont bell do a single skin job but its still heavy and dam expensive... I hav found a tent on trade me its 2 hundy so dirt cheap, going to buy it I think then thrash the s#*t out of it. I wont be surprised if it blows away or fails badly then..:) BTW its 1.38kg now I'm looking for a 550gsm goose down sleeping bag that only weighs a 1000gm...
Recently purchased a new tent, Its a Exped Vela 1 extreme. not the lightest tent around but offers good length. Probably the first tent which offers me plenty of head and leg room. Very spacious for its weight.
One of the lightest double skinned tent (and I don't know about NZ yet, but single skinned tents are virtually useless in the UK with condensation) has to be the Terra Nova Laser Competetion http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/Product_Type/Tents/Superlite_Tents/Laser_Competition_GREEN.html I've had one about two years and have been very impressed with it, at under a kilo it barely weighs more than my bivy. Not sure on the availability in NZ as they are UK based co, though several of the their tents are made overseas to save on cost.
Ditto with the situation with double vs single skinned tents in NZ. The weight stats for the Terra Nova are very impressive. The dimensions seem to be about the same as a MacPac Micolight but it weighs a lot less. It must be the weight of the materials used. How would it stand up to strong winds?
After our 14 yr old minaret started leaky, we decided to buy a MAcpac stellar which we find has the option of light and roomy. GOt enough room for even 3 if you wanted to. Also had a large vesible for all the gear as well as a larg efloor plan. Much bigger and better than the minaret.
hi everyone, i have so far only used my kelty quartz 1 tent once, and in cool but calm weather, condensation was minimal which was good, will be interesting to see how it goes in inclement weather. what i would like to know is what sort of sleeping mats people use, i have a cheap three quarter one but would prefer a full length one, needs to be light, folds up small and warm, any ideas?
Stick with three quarter length. There is no point having it any longer. You only need shoulder to knees. The full length ones are very bulky
11–20 of 22

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by russy
On 4 March 2008
Replies 21
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown