1 person tents

1–10 of 22

hi everyone, i am looking at buying a 1 person tent. Was wondering if anyone has any ideas on a specific brand/model? i want one that is 4 season that can be used above the bushline but also lightweight at the same time. any ideas?
I find my MacPac Microlight to be very good. There were a couple for sale on Trade Me a few weeks ago. It is a very strong tent and because it is so small it has a small wind footprint. I have slept in it in all sorts of places and always felt secure. It is not very roomy so you have to be well organised in it. I am just over 6ft tall and i have adapted to it.
I have a Macpac minaret tent, it is really a 1.5/2 person tent. I rate it highly but find it a bit heavy. Macpac tents are good but are normally quite expensive. There are quite a few brivy bags on the market now. I beleive black diamond makes a good one.
The price of a tent should not really be a factor in purchasing one. Many times I have been in the hills, glad that I am sleeping in the best tent that money could buy. And I have had the odd occasion when I wished I was in a better tent. I have never used a bivy bag but from what I see they weigh about 800g. To really complete the system I think you also need a small tent fly to cook under and alow you to get in and out of the bivy bag without getting wet. By the time you total that up you are probably carrying a similar weight to a 1 man tent anyway.
hi everyone, have now got myself a tent, its a kelty brand, american i think, its a 4 season , 1 man which is what i was after, got it off a fellow website member so thats great, thanks for peoples feedback, looking forward to using the tent
Just looking at the Kelty web site http://www.kelty.com/kelty/products.php?type=8&cat=60 which one did you get?
hi there, got the quartz 1 model, seems to have good ventilation, and feels quite solid when it is up, should be a good tent
Looks like a good tent. Similar floor plan but a bit heavier than a Microlight but has an extra pole which would probably mean it has better head room. Let us know how it goes. I just bought myself a MacPac Olympus in the sale that is on around the country at the moment. Taking it out for its first test run this weekend.
It is possible to sleep 5 people in a Olympus in a pinch. Which works out to be 680 grams per person which is lighter then most bivy bags. It is also possible to sleep three people in a macpac minaret.
I guess anything is posible!! The Olympus is generally considered a 2 person tent. 3 if you are good friends. The Minaret is a 2 person tent but many people consider it to be fairly small for that. The Microlight is said to be 1-2 people. I tell you if there were 2 in my Microlight then they would have to be very small people. I guess it is a matter of comfort. What really helps is having 2 doors in a 2 person tent. Makes life more bearable. The Olympus weighs about 3.2kg which is double the Microlight's 1.6kg. I think the 1.6 of a Microlight is much better value than half that weight in a bivy bag. How do you get in and out of a bivy bag and cook in wet weather? Russey's Kelty is rated at just over 2kg but it has an extra pole so might give you a bit more head room when sitting up.
1–10 of 22

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by russy
On 4 March 2008
Replies 21
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown