two must do tramps in NZ your suggestions?

Hello everyone, I will be in NZ around November/October of 2011. I'm looking for your thoughts on a few hikes (3-7 days each) that are must do for a first time visitor. I have hiked a good amount of my native Sierra Navada's in California. I've read up on the Milford and Routeburn Tracks and they look like grat walks. I'm looking for rugged, raw, and humbling scenery. It would be nice to get away from the crowds, Nov/Oct look like its the off season for hikeing? If you could only hike two trails which one's would you pick for that time of year? Are the bitting bugs bad around that time? Thanks in advance. Joel
I would vote for Travers-Sabine circuit, up the travers river, over Travers Saddle, down to Sabine Hut, then up to Lake Angelus and back down along Robert Ridge (you can make it a loop, handy if you have your own car). There do tend to be quite a few people on it though, especially at Lake Angelus. But you could take a tent and camp away from the crowds. Awesome lakes, bush, river valleys, tops and views. There will be sandflies at that time of year, but up at Angelus it is too high for them.
If your planning on being in Fiordland you could look at the Dusky track. There will be less people doing the Dusky than the Milford or Routeburn as its not considered a 'Great Walk' - However the Dusky is prone to flooding and will be a little bit more expensive as it requires you to get a boat to the start/end of the track (have a look at the home page for this site, there is more info on Dusky & other tracks). Note: Sandflies will get you regardless of the time of year & where you are in NZ - if it's sunny (or even cloudy) they will be biting...!!

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by tenderpaw
On 14 November 2010
Replies 2
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown