PLB battery replacement

Does anyone have any recent experience with getting a PLB battery replaced, or investigating it? Where did you go and was it worth it? A few years back I recall not seeing it available anywhere outside Auckland, and so expensive that it wasn't financially with it compared with buying a new PLB, which seems sad because I hate wasting otherwise perfectly good stuff. This thread from 2016 seems to agree about the non cost effectiveness, but maybe something's changed? https://tramper.nz/forums/thread/9261 Specifically it's an ACR Resqlink+. The original only had a seven year expiry so if a replacement is the same then it also mightn't be as cost effective as buying a new one with a 10+ year life.
39 comments
21–30 of 39

Heh. NZ$10.29 * 3 plus the resources to wire them together. https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/BATPAN3006/Panasonic-CR-123AW-genuine-CR123A-3V-Photo-Lithium I'm not going to do it, though. :)
beacons are supposed to be watertight... might be a new seal needs to be put in the device when its taken apart as well... if you self service you cant guarantee that seal anymore... the service agents should be guaranteeing that seal
@izogi contact the guy at https://skippersmate.co.nz/ in regards to KTI battery replacement costs. Great guy to deal with, and has done a lot to try and bring prices down in nz. I have a KTI, but no where near needing new battery/replacement.
Reminds me of the old joke where the customer complained about the $100 invoice for replacing a 10c screw. Yes said the repair guy, the screw only costs 10c but knowing where and how to insert it costs $99.90. Having worked on life safety equipment for some of my professional career there are the not-insignificant issues/responsibilities/risks of having that equipment work perfectly first time when somebody or large numbers of people really need it to work perfectly. That takes a decent amount of training, care, regular testing and maintenance. Not to mention a large chunk of professional indemnity insurance. All of which has a significant cost. Each individual can make their own choice about the value of their own life when replacing their PLB battery.
Mine is well short of replacement as well but I love to tinker so I will probably at least look at the battery on replacement day. You are right though having a beacon you only think works is really not a good idea
There must be a lot of old PLBs starting to accumulate in people's basements, though. I do wonder if maybe there's a business opportunity for a suitably qualified person to offer to buy them up cheaply and recondition them for resale, maybe with some kind of certification or approval from the RCCNZ or whatever it is that existing battery replacement agents have. On the other hand, if (for example) ACR charges $150 for three $10 batteries soldered together and refuses to approve a skilled person making them independently for installation in its product, there might be limits on how official the certification could be made.
i remember a doco on rescuing people... guy was caught in a flash flood in the dpeths of fiordland, he had a beacon,, it wouldnt work... he had to take it apart himself to get it to work... makes me wonder, since he was able to get it working himself, if he hadnt already taken it apart to change the battery previously and it was left inoperable...
Not sure how and ACR operates but my GME has a test option. So if it used the same batteries you *could* change them, close it back up then try the test button. If it flashes and beeps you are good to go. I do this check before every trip I take it on. I assume ACR has something similar. As to waterproofing; we import waterproof wrist computers and all they have is an o-ring. To change battery open the back, change the battery, close it up — don't pinch the o-ring! Again, no idea on internal workings/seals of a PLB but I would imagine it is not much more complicated than that. Again, as I originally said I would not recommend self battery changes and wouldn't do it myself because I would rather pay some more $ to be confident it is done correctly. But, theoretically it appears possible to change them yourself.
it varies, GME dont replace their batteries at all. to make sure of the integrity of their units ...
GME did have a battery replacement option on the EPIRBs. Came in after I bought the PLB but have no idea what the situation is now or if that was the case for PLBs. It's too big anyway so will be looking at one of the smaller models when it's dates are up. (Approx 1 more year I think).
21–30 of 39

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by izogi
On 20 July 2020
Replies 38
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown