Opinions on Hubba Hubba tents?

G'day Am in the market for a tent for my wife and I. Unlikely to use it on the tops and want it to be roomy so am leaning towards a dome/geodesic rather than a tunnel. At the moment it's a toss-up between the Hubba Hubba or Hubba Hubba HP (both 2kgs) and the EXPED Sirius II (3.4kgs). A salesman at Bivouac is telling me the extra weight of the EXPED is worth the superior durability/waterproofness etc. Anybody used either of these tents? Or any other recommendations? Cheers Brynley
Hi Bryney I settled on a Hubba Hubba 2 man tent a few months back and on the 2-3 occasions I've used it (including mid-heavy rain) it's proven easy to erect, waterproof and roomy including gear space outside inner vestibule. I'd recommend a thermal sleeping mat though as floor conducts cold (not wet) and reckon a ground sheet might also be a good idea although I've survived so far without one. So far I'm really happy with my purchase =) Hope this helps!
Thanks for that monkeysh1ne. Anyone else have a Hubba Hubba? How do they hold up long-term? The EXPED model I'm considering is the Venus II, not the Sirius II.
I have had a Hubba Hubba for 3 years but have not used it that much. I have the groundsheet and like the better protection that offers the bottom of the tent. You can also just use that and the fly without the inner if you want. One problem I had was that after about 6 months in the back of the cupboard the fly fabric waterproofing treatment failed (went sticky). This was a known problem and I got a new fly from the NZ importer. So (apart from fly issue) no problems but not a huge amount of use.
My sister owns a Hubba Hubba and to the best of my knowledge has had no problems with it. Also MSR products seem to be very expensive in NZ more so then other brands. While I like EXPED gear, their tents seem to be extremely heavy.... Have you looked at the MacPac Macrolight. It is their 2 person version of the Microlight. From memory it is heavier then the Hubba Hubba but lighter then the Exped.
Personally I'd go for the Hubba Hubba HP because its a tad lighter and more protective. I agree that MSR gear is really expensive here, I tend to import mine directly from the UK. www.jackson-sports.com is the website I mostly use. MSR gear is great I find. I have MSR pots and a water filter and they look like they're made to cope with some serious stuff. I like their no-nonsense approach and can't really fault the gear I have. Hope this helps.
Thanks for all the info everyone. MSR is absurdly priced here - in NZ their tents are getting close to double the US price. It is conceivable that I get a friend to bring me one back from the US - but would the warranty be honoured here in NZ should it need fixing for example? Or is this not something I should be concerned about? Your feedback is most appreciated - no doubt you can all tell I'm very much a newbie! Cheers
In respone to militaris' question - no, I haven't really looked at the Macpac tents. In the past I would have, but the new Macpac doesn't seem to be quite so serious about the quality of their products anymore - at least, that's the experience I've had with their clothes. Maybe I've been unlucky?

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Brynley
On 25 October 2010
Replies 7
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown