Karangarua-Landsborough Help needed

G'day, I'm after any information on the best route from either Christmas flat in the Karangarua or Horace-Walker in the Douglas, into the Upper Landsborough. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that a descent directly below K saddle is possible (although it doesn't look possible on the map). We will be there in Feburary for a Thar hunting trip and will be looking for the quickest and easiest route in. Cheers, Matt
Try and have a talk to James Scott, Im asuming your flying in with him, he may even take you for a look if you ask him nicely and hes got time. It is possible but have never done it myself. Flown over it pleanty of times, BIG drop.
Yeah we will probably fly with James again. Last year he dropped us at Kea Flat and we walked all the way up. James told me it was possible but I'd like to hear from someone who has done it. A couple of guys I talked to who have been near it have warned me not to attempt it......?
Ive been told that there is a small ledge you gan get up. Sounds more like mountaineering than hunting to me??
P.S, I think the route from Horace walker will be the easiest one. There is also a rock biv you can use if you go that way too.
"I vaguely remember reading somewhere that a descent directly below K saddle is possible (although it doesn't look possible on the map)." I think you mean this route: http://www.tramper.co.nz/?3674 http://www.tramper.co.nz/?3761 The whole trip report from madpom is a gripping read.
I'm keen to hear from someone who has first hand experience.
If there's no snow around then the route from the Karangarua Saddle down to the Landsborough is actually easier than the Douglas Pass looks (I've not crossed the latter, but the Landsboro side looks steep, loose and and crumbly). The advantages of the Karangarua route are: - No crossing of glacier required - Good solid scree all the way on the Landsboro side, rather than the crumbly stuff further up the valley at the Douglass Pass. - Very easy ascent / descent on the Karangarua side - a walk on tussock valley heads rather than a tough climb. The downside of the Karangarua route is: - there's a 300m drop below you at the top end of the route and the shelf you walk down is only 10m wide - if there's snow / ice around you may well be below a large volume of it on the bluffs above If you're coming from the Landsboro side it's easy to find and also easy to decide if conditions are good - i.e. amount of snow around. 1km downriver of the Karangarua Saddle is a scree face reaching part-way up the bluffs. 100m or so up this two 'ledges' lead right (upriver) towards the saddle, sloping gradually up to end at the saddle itself. One of there is clearly walkable, whereas the other becomes sheer near to the top. I believe, looking at the photo, that it is the upper of the two that is navigable - though this will be clear on the ground. See the 1st photo linked above (click on it and view enlarged - there's a red line marking the route). A 'wiggle' to drop to another shelf 10m lower is needed part-way along, as the top-most one runs out shortly after. From the top (Karangarua side) it may be harder to find. Head west from the pass, and follow a broad, moderately sloping scree face round onto the landsborough face maybe 20m above and west of the pass, and descend the gently sloping shelf. I'm not sure if there are other scree ledges that could confuse from this direction. I'd probably take a copy of the above photo with me to make sure I'm on the right one. If you do the route, please make some better notes that I did. They will be much appreciated! I intended to write the route up that night, but had other things on my mind by that stage! I wouldn't attempt the Karanagarua Saddle descent if there's snow or ice on it. Too exposed for me! Mind you- not sure I'd be took keen on the Douglass pass in those conditions either! As for the Douglas route, Andrew Barker (on this site) as walked that - he may have further advice if you ask him.
Thanks Madpom. Much appreciated. We will take a good look from the chopper to assess conditions, hopefully the February weather is kind to us.
1 deleted post from Soycleapponna

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by matt.sanson
On 22 October 2010
Replies 9
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown