Trampers stranded after DoC refuses air access

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10492163 Three trampers stranded in Arthurs Pass National Park by a swollen river cannot pay for their own flight out because their situation is not considered an emergency. The trio, including well-known outdoorsman Kerry Suter, have been trapped for three days at remote Barker Hut, the highest in the park, after heavy weekend rain swelled the nearby White River. They are not injured but are beginning to run out of food. The men contacted the Canterbury Mountain Radio Service yesterday morning, requesting that a helicopter collect them, and offering to pay the $1300 cost. However, the Department of Conservation (DOC) bans commercial helicopters from landing in the park apart from in cases of medical emergency, so their request was turned down. "It's ridiculous. We may now have to take risks and very serious risks to get ourselves out of here," one of the trampers told The Press over the hut's VHF radio. Paul White, from the Canterbury Mountain Radio Service, slammed the decision to deny helicopter access. Advertisement Advertisement "The river will be higher tomorrow and DOC just haven't considered how dangerous it will be. It's a joke." Arthurs Pass DOC field centre supervisor Wayne Costello said the trampers were "best just to sit tight in the hut" . Trampers in remote areas should always plan to take extra rations, he said. - NZPA
I have to side with DOC, mainly because I believe in the wilderness area system. A no fly zone should be exactly that, no flying unless the person is in real danger. We already have enough people pushing the boundaries of wilderness areas. DOC needs to get tougher and start enforcing the boundaries.
So do I. I understand it is frustrating, but I think this is an appalling comment: "We may now have to take risks and very serious risks to get ourselves out of here." Nobody is forcing them to do anything. If they pick up any book on bushcraft it will tell them to sit tight. The wilderness is a wild place and that's the whole point. If the rivers trap you and you don't like that, then you should stay home. Being stuck in the bush is not an emergency. Just my opinion. :-)
Yep, I'm with DOC too. Glad to see others in this forum are too. I heard one comment "what if the river doesn't go down!!". Well duh! when has a river not gone down? This brings to mind a recent trip I did to Waitawheta Hut. After walking all day we arrived tired at the hut. Next thing, with great fanfare a noisy smelly helecopter arrives with a party of people, loaded to the gills with grog, ready to party the night away. In the end, after scoffing our dehy and ready for a good night's sleep we went and slept outside to get away from the racket. Gotta keep there helicopters out of the hills.
Helicopters a disease of the now generation. I was in a hut recently with an old deer discussing the days events. both of us had had interesting days but the thought of getting a helicopter to get us out of the fix hadnt occured to either of us both had considered that it was just going to take longer than we first thought. Not the opinion of the 3 Now generation in the hut on that night their first course was the easy way out
I know from experience that if SAR/Police/Doc think you are in danger they will do everything to help. They don't actually like it when people die in the mountains, it looks bad for the sport. There needs to be more no fly zones in the hills, Kaimais should be added.
Graeme Kates of softrock.co.nz had plenty to say on this particular trio. While they were "stuck" in the hut, a party walked in and visited them! They were warned not to walk in to the hut at the visitor's centre as there was (yes!) a heavy rain forecast warning.
I see the stuff website mentions it http://www.stuff.co.nz/thepress/4401550a24035.html I hadn't seen that report before. I think I will have to have a chat to Jim Strang though. That isn't like him at all, sounds like he is getting old and soft!!

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by militaris
On 13 February 2008
Replies 7
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown