Mt Raukumara

Anyone know about the access to the eastern end of the Raukumaras near East Cape / Te Aroroa - specifically to Mt Raukumara. Map shows forestry roads through the Ruatoria Forest connecting to walking track along the ridgeline. Anyone know the area / been here. Is this access easy, or am I likely to run into access problems? DoC say the only legal access is into Mt Hikurangi which is at least a day further west.
Yeah, been there, injured myself, done that! Seriously, I have! In 1995 I walked from East Cape to Cape Egmont on foot. Took 80 days inc. rest days. Day 1 was walking from East Cape via Te Araroa & Awatere to start of Taurangakutuku Rd :35km. Day 2 was walking up Taurangakutuku Rd for a couple of hours to Ruatoria State Forest (run by American Co. called Rayoniers). Got hassled by local Maori fella. Then getting lost (you'll need a recent topo map) then climbed up O'Regans Rd to camp by Raukumara FP NE boundary. Day 3 was bashing thru leatherwood for 6 gruelling hours to summit of Raukumara,(1413m) (found occasional old permolat). Camped in the clouds with stunning 360-deg view. This remote peak is SELDOM VISITED, as it's a bitch to get up. I got advice from Chris Sharp, Gizzy Canoe/Tramp Club. Hope this impresses (or depresses) you??
Does it get any better as you head west along the ridgeline towards Pods Peak / Whanokao? Not much in the way of east-west valleys as an alternative to the ridgeline ...

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by madpom
On 30 September 2010
Replies 2
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown