Just wanna say hi....

To all the old hands, I'm back. Went off for quite some time because I experimented with living in Auckland for 14 months (NEVER again!) and just didn't do any tramping of note. Four-fifths of bugger all to be found around there, especially with a rahui on the Waitakere's. Well, I'm back on the Mainland, living in Queenstown. And I'm taking September off to just tramp. I already have some ideas of which tracks I want to do, but I'm curious; if you had the entire month of September to tramp in the South Island, which tracks (or routes) come to mind for you?
Welcome back fella :-)
The big guy with the big plans are back. Hey mate. West Coast. Hoki catchment. Qt to West Coast via olivine. Valley and pass route. Kakapo hut.
Welcome back kreig. Make the most of your youth and fitness; it's a gift that will not last forever. Cheers.
Glad to see you have escaped the big smoke. I would get lost (figuratively speaking) in Kahurangi NP. Less wet slushy shitty snow than further south, and somewhat easier travel to allow further exploring. Pre-arrange a couple of food drops at road ends (either bury them or get a mate to drop them off).
Nice to see you back. Are you still wearing the kilt?
Yep, still rockin' the manskirt. Had a wee setback. Dropped a trestle table on my foot a couple of days ago, and I'm pretty sure I fractured it. So I've shifted everything right. 9th-13th heading up the West Coast and going to do the new Paparoa Great Walk before it opens. 17th-25th doing some cycling with a friend; Alps2Ocean, Otago Central Rail Trail, Roxburgh Gorge Trail, and Clutha Gold Trail. 558km total. Then straight up to Arthur's Pass to do a tramp somewhere around there with a mate who's organising it. Then I'll head back south and probably back-to-back Hollyford and South Coast Tracks.
Nice to hear from you. Good luck with your plans. What are you planning to do in Arthur's Pass? You might get to see one of our tracks we've cut in there or at least one of our revisions of the track layout on the more popular tracks!
Good cycling loop. Are you connecting alpsToOcean with OtagoCentral via Danseys Pass? Waipori Falls road also makes a good cycle route from end of Clutha Gold to Dunedin if you're headed that way. Met 2 cars total last winter cycling back from Dunedin that way.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Kreig
On 25 July 2019
Replies 8
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown