Another missing tramper in Tararuas

:warning: [Deleted]
88 comments
11–20 of 88

In some ways, the number of huts on the Tararua tops add to the danger when conditions get nasty. If you know from the beginning 100% that you're going to have an at least somewhat nasty camp in the snow/alpine/sub alpine, you'll be looking at your options earlier and make the best of a bad situation. With the lure of 'if we just get to the hut, everything will be all right', you'll keep going for the hut even if you have adequate gear to survive camping out and end up in a situation with much more limited options. Still fingers crossed that he's in his tent half buried between the snow and leatherwood in one of at least four different valley systems that branch from that Arete/Pinnacles/Tarn Ridge area.
I read one of the earlier SAR officials' quotes from the first few days which said "potentially a tent", and thought that's really not the sort of thing you want to hear about someone in this situation. From the latest report I've seen on Stuff, it sounds like he's now thought (I'm not clear on how much) to have a one person tent and a fairly grunty sleeping bag, which might be something. People talk about PLBs, which are obviously important, but they're not failsafe and there are so many other important safety measures which seem to be a factor here. Leaving clear intentions with a trusted person, including info about what you have with you, planning backup intentions and leaving them with that person, writing about progress and ongoing intentions in hut books, being familiar with weather information and how it relates to where you're going. How on earth do people go past hut books and *not* write in them? If he went via Te Matawai to Arete Biv then he must have passed at least two, maybe three if he went via Waiopehu or South Ohau. Wairarapa SAR reported on facebook 15 minutes ago that nothing of significance have been found to date. I hope he's found soon.
Thumbs up
it doesnt occur to some people that hut books are there for more than sentiment. they can give important information to searchers, especially when you havent told anyone else your exact trip intentions..
A lot of people dont fill in the book in case they get a bill later. Sometimes the pen doesnt work and without an alternative the book gets missed. Even so if you are worried about getting caught for not paying then still write something in the book. Even an unnamed entry at Arete biv over the last week would of obviously been the entry they were looking for as not many others would be up there
I make a point of carrying a spare pen with me to leave at huts for the hut book and when I leave a pen there I document this in the hut book to help encourage the practice.
Thumbs up
Yes, something doesnt seem right about that aspect of things - that he's an experienced tramper and yet there are no entries in the hut books.
I don't find it surprising in the least that an experienced tramper would not use hut books.
Neither, sadly. 'Experienced' can mean a lot of things. Strictly speaking it just means someone's done something a lot, but not that they necessarily have certain skills or follow best practice all the time whilst doing it. There are plenty of examples of contradictions.
update https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/113315699/tararua-ranges-search-for-missing-tramper-darren-myers-enters-day-six
Hut books are easy to overlook, especially at this time of year when you are getting to the hut and leaving it in the dark. When you get there, you're busy trying to get dry, warm and fed,and might be still playing it by ear, waiting to see what tomorrow brings. Next morning, especially if the weather is marginal, you might be too preoccupied. Not an excuse, but an understandable oversight.
11–20 of 88

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by TararuaHunter
On 3 June 2019
Replies 87
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown