Down Jackets

1–10 of 15

Hey I was looking at getting a down jacket and was wondering what a good brand is and where the best place to buy one from would be?
Montbell are really good, light, compressible, and from memory not too expensive. Also Outdoor research has some nice ones, their quality guarantee and service is the best in the business in my opinion.
I have a patagonia down sweater, not one of the warmest down jackets but small, very packable and plenty warm enough for my requirements. macpac do a similar thing i think
I have a Macpac sundowner which is warm enough and light weight, it has a stuff sac sewn into it. Nylon outer but you can get some with a waterproof outer, most of these down jackets work well with just a baselayer underneath them.
I have been using an Outdoor Research one for a few years, packs down small. I find it warm enough for NZ conditions, I have never walked in it, just for use at the hut or camp. I was stuck in a hut in a snow storm with no fireplace, best piece of kit was my down jacket.
thanks for the thoughts guys. i just brought a duck down jacket from Kathmandu for $189 on special at their clarence store in Christchurch
Casual or serious use? If serious then you buy one with 'box construction' as opposed to 'stitch-through'. Save yourself any hassle and get the 'Mont-Bell' 800 weight from i-climb (dot co dot nz). It comes with stuff sack. It is hoodless so take a hat.
From the iClimb site it looks like the Ventisca comes with a hood. I found the site the day after I bought my Equinox XP from Macpac... damn. The Macpac is a good jacket for the price, but time will tell.
Bought my Mont Bell 'Alpine Down Jacket' 3 seasons ago now I think. Didn't want the added bulk of a hood given I take a balaclava anyway. I swear by this puffy.. it stuffs well and puffs up great. Seems like it will last forever.
Thought I would revive this thread as I just bought a down jacket. I have always been a bit doubious about these in NZ as they would be next to useless if they got wet. At least a good fleece jacket will still provide some warmth if soaked. Also I have my doubts that, unless in snow, it probably isn't really cold enough in NZ to warrent a good down jacket. On the plus side, they will be warmer than fleece and aparently make an ideal pillow. However, in saying all this, I have been on the lookout over the years and managed to pick up one in Mountain Designs for $99. The only problem is the colour, chinese red! But I love it. The same jacket in black was $174. Things I have learnt is that these jackets can be duck down or goose down. Goose down is warmer for the same loft but dearer. Loft ratings for jackets start at 550. The better ones were 650 etc. The one I got is 550 loft, duck down. But the price and colour are unbeatable.
1–10 of 15

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by kieranpalmer
On 5 September 2010
Replies 14
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown