Down Jackets

Hey I was looking at getting a down jacket and was wondering what a good brand is and where the best place to buy one from would be?
15 comments
11–15 of 15

The higher the loft, the finer the quills and the less durable they are. Jackets constantly compressed into the smallest packages endure alot of breakdown in the effectiveness of the down. That's such an old cliche now, the old line that fleece will at least stay warm when wet. It's still true but on the other hand it really isn't hard to keep the down dry. I believe once you've had one you'll always think want one.
PHD in the UK have a good selection - mostly boxed as apposed to sewn thru. so they are a bit more serious than the typical macpac etc. cost is too. but on the plus side, they use really puffy down - 900 fill as an option ! this makes the jacket lighter cause they don't need as much, and much loftier. obviously don't get them wet, but if its below freezing , then that won't be a drama. the down hood is the best part of the jacket - don't leave home without it :-) they have some with waterproof outer, but the weight goes up heaps.
1 deleted post from normclimb
Also pricey but with a good reputation is the Torre Down Parka or the Kobuk Down Jacket from Nunatak in the US.
1 deleted post from FreelmSilm
Outdoor Research is an amazing brand. They have great service and their down jackets are amazing. Would defanitely recommend OR. Also The North Face do possibly the best down jackets that I have seen yet. They are incredibly warm and the brand name has been around for years. I decided to not buy a down jacket because you can't clean them as well; every time you wash a down jacket it looses fibres which makes the down jacket not as warm. The feathers can also be a pain as I have seen a few jackets where people have had a problem with excessive amounts of feathers coming out. People wear them to rugby games thinking that they are water proof as well as being really warm but this is NOT true. Down jackets will soak up water like a sponge, they will then take ages to dry and if they don't get dry the down can start to stink. If you are getting a down jacket make sure that you are able to wear a water proof rain coat over it to stay dry. I would recommend that you consider investing in a synthetic jacket or a loft filled jacket. These jackets are way better because you can wash them and all the fibres will stay so the jacket will end up being as warm as you bought it. You can take it tramping because it can get wet; when you get a synthetic or loft filled jacket you can wear it in the rain and it will dry within half an hour to an hour depending on how wet you get it and it will still stay warm when it is wet. They are an incredibly warm jacket and I know that The North Face make them because I own one. Highly recommend.
11–15 of 15

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by kieranpalmer
On 5 September 2010
Replies 14
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown