Tramp Route possible

Hi Everyone, Just seeking some advice on a route I'm doing in mid december. A combination of a couple of tracks. Start at Routeburn shelter , over Harris pass, go down Deadmans track onto Hollyford out to Martins bay around and back down Pyke track to Hollyford then up Hidden Falls Creek up to Park pass and down thru to Rockburn track to Routeburn shelter. My question is what is the going like up Hidden falls creek and is it marked up thru to the pass. Thanks in advance for advice.
dead mans track is bad enough, if you have to ask, you probably shouldnt be going. hidden creek is only for people who are experienced going off track in very thick rough bush, its not marked. this forum has aproblem where people expect juset reading information about a track is enough information to be able to do it... you have to have the right skills fitness and gear in advance for tracks like this.
If it is marked or not, it wouldn't matter if you have an offline GPS app on your phone(s) and the spare batteries to keep it powered.
Um. @berend. I think the lower end of Hidden Falls up out of the Holyford is a bit more serious than that. There was once a blazed route up there in the 60s but there's half a century of windfall & regrowth. Have a look at Moirs: a very difficult roure through complex bluff systems. that's just getting past the falls. Then there's a few km sidling a tight gorge to get to the open upper valley. If that's really what the OP is proposing.
I have been down the True Left of Hidden Falls Creek about 20years ago. Lots of thick bush and large boulders, if I recall. Tough going but do-able. Quite a contrast to the pleasant river flats upstream. I did it with Geoff Spearpoint, so there is now quite possibly a good route description somewhere in Moirs. I don't remember seeing any sign of a track, either. Could be wrong, tho.
yeah why dont you climb mt cook without experience and a gps mapping app. how hard an it be? because technology doesnt trump all.. plenty of people follow gps tracks to their downfall... I work in IT and i've spent enough time in the mountains to see when it has it's limitations
@gazcan. Don't have moirs to hand but when I planned that trip 15 yrs ago it referred to following an old blazed spur/sidle-route, and commented that it was hard to follow. The copy of moirs I was using probably predated your trip so it'd be worth checking if your river route is in there now.
Thanks for your comments everyone. I have just started researching if it is possible for me to do the route I've suggested.I thought this forum would be a good start for advice or leads, and I will take onboard everything.have done a few tramps and spent a couple of winters living in the bush trapping possums in the early 80's. I am quite diligent in my planning ,risk management and contingency planning. Waynowski,your comments 'if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be going. hidden creek is only for people who are experienced going off track in very thick rough bush, its not marked. this forum has aproblem where people expect juset reading information about a track is enough information to be able to do it…' are a little off mark in this case. thanks again
Thumbs up
Get a hold of the most recent Moirs Guide North 8th edition. It explains the route down Hidden Falls in quite some detail. Doesn’t mention any blazes. While the flats are pleasant, the gorge sounds bloody awful to be frank. The route up (reverse direction) only gets a paragraph so you’ll have to reverse engineer the route notes.
Thumbs up
Thanks Yarmoss, will do. much appreciated

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Parksea
On 5 June 2018
Replies 9
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown