Tramping Shorts

So, the arse literally fell out of my last pair of Macpac Terrain shorts on the weekend. Now the problem is what to replace them with as Macpac don't seem to make them anymore. A quick look around the usual shops show shorts that are either too long (I hate having material flapping about my knees) or too short (They might be great for the rednecks out there, but it's not the 80's anymore, so best not to have the spare wheels hanging out). Any suggestions from the blokes out there?
26 comments
11–20 of 26

I used to wear cotton rugby shorts from the whareware. I still wear them during my day to day. They are twelve bux and it’s all I live in. But in the bush when they are wet they don’t dry. And that sux. I tried drying a pair over a candle holder in Arete biv and put a hole in them. Now I have a pair of adidas shorts I bought at rebel sports for thirty bux. They are short comfy well built and dry super fast. But to be honest there is a million options. Just buy light we’ll built quick dry shorts.
Macpac and Katmandu do both sell to both the urban warrior and the real deal tramper. Both have ranges for both markets. Only difference between the 2 is that the Macpac salespeople know the difference (sometimes)
Retail doesn't pay real good so you're not going to get a genius doing it.Turnover is high because customers treat staff like dirt. Macpac generally doesn't have as high a markup because they need to be competitive and i would say, use better quality materials. The only time to buy Kathmandu is when they have a 50% off sale. Then your paying the reasonable markup on the lesser quality goods.
@Gaiters Im the same, I used to wear the cotton canterbury shorts but now just wear the Addidas Shorts from Rebel Sport. Even if its raining I still wear shorts, i dont know what it is about pants but I just hate wearing them even if its cold
Shorts are an antipodean thing. You can always tell a kiwi or Aussie overseas by the grown man in shorts. Everyone else considers them something kids wear, lol.
I wore shorts because that's what people wore tramping but a morning going through crown ferns covered in frost cured me of that. Now I wear nylon trekking trousers or in the winter, long johns. I'm not fond of sandflies so I guess I don't have to use so much repellant either.
Antipodean thing or not, much more comfortable tramping in shorts in all but the coolest weather. And when it's wet I usually wear waterproof shorts or 3/4 shorts. I've a pair of Vaude 3/4 waterproof shorts that I used to use for cycling/mt biking and they're excellent for walking too. Most of the time I'd overheat in full waterproof trousers, even though they are gore paclite with full length zips.
@kreig: Is there anything worn under the kilt or is it all in perfect working order. ;)
"Shorts are an antipodean thing. You can always tell a kiwi or Aussie overseas by the grown man in shorts. Everyone else considers them something kids wear, lol." Funny, i'm just a big kid then. The only time i wear trousers is when i travel overseas. Or maybe go out to dinner or something. I noted just recently that the only time i can remember wearing denim jeans was back in the eighties. I still have them and my partner says i shouldn't put them on. Ps. I have good legs though.
I always wear Kathmandu shorts, no issues with quality, they're very fast drying, which is exactly what I need. Don't have much experience with other brands though, as I had no reason to try something different.
11–20 of 26

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by gazcan
On 1 May 2018
Replies 25
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown