Comyns Hut

Hakatere Conservation Park

Corrugated iron hut on grassland next to Turtons Stream, south of Lake Coleridge. Constructed in 1957, restored in 2008, and reportedly in good condition. The original hut was built in 1897, and is still standing.

Alfred Comyns was a local musterer. In 1897, he drove a flock over Mathias Pass (1458m) to graze the headwaters of the Hokitika River. All 2000 sheep died.

A chapter is devoted to Comyns Hut in Mark Pickerings, "Huts: untold stories from back-country New Zealand."

Comyns Hut in the upper North Ashburton River • By lewshaw. Licence: cc by-nc-nd.
Key information
Owner
Owner: DOC
Category
Basic Hut/Bivvy
Sleeps
Sleeps 8
8
Facilities
Toilet, Enclosed wood/coal burner
Water supply
No water
Getting there
Getting there
Marked track up Glenrock Stream from the road up the true right of the Rakaia River, 4-5 hours.
Unlocked
This hut is unlocked and open to access.
Bookings
No bookings — open access
No — open access
Other
Altitude
860m
Mobile phone coverage
No coverage
Maps
NZTopo50-BW19
Map
ID 8360

About this hut

Added 8 December 2012 by MatthewMatthew. 3 revisions, most recently 27 July 2013 by MatthewMatthew.
172 views in the past year (14 per month).