Packhorse Hut

A stone hut perched on a saddle next to Mount Bradley, with commanding views of Lyttelton Harbour. The "Sign of the Packhorse" was conceived and built (1916) by Harry Ell as a rest house on the Summit Road. This section of road was never constructed, although the legal right-of-way remains. The hut was built from local stone, and designed by Christchurch architect Samuel Hearst Seager in a "vernacular style."

Sign of the Packhorse • By Matthew.
Key information
Owner
Owner: DOC
Category
Serviced Hut
Sleeps
Sleeps 9
9
Facilities
Toilet, Enclosed wood/coal burner
Water supply
Tap or tank water
Getting there
Getting there
Allong the Packhorse Hut Track from Kaituna Valley, or along Summit Walkway from Gebbies Pass. Quickest route is from Gebbies Pass.
Unlocked
This hut is unlocked and open to access.
Bookings
Bookings required
Required

Bookings are required from 15 October 2015.

Other
Altitude
450m
Mobile phone coverage
No coverage
Maps
NZTopo50-BX24
Link
www.doc.govt.nz/p...http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/canterbury/places/banks-peninsula-area/things-to-do/packhorse-hut/
Map
ID 3043

About this hut

Added 31 July 2008 by MatthewMatthew. 5 revisions, most recently 6 October 2015 by MatthewMatthew.
196 views in the past year (16 per month).