Track • 2 – 3 days. Hard. One way.
A challenging crossing of the Kirikirikatata / Mount Cook Range between the Hooker and Tasman Glaciers just 5km south of Aoraki.
Track • 1 – 2 days. Easy/medium. Return via same track.
Follow the old Ball Hut Road from the Blue Lakes car park along the moraine wall of the Tasman Glacier near Aoraki / Mount Cook. Although this track approaches Mount Cook, the peak is never visible.
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.