North South Track
Track • 7 days. Easy/medium. One way.
Traversing the length of the Kaimai Range from the Karangahake Gorge to the Mamaku Plateau, this track follows historic trails to explore kauri logging and gold mining areas.
Thompson's Track to Kauritatahi Track
Track • 1 – 2 days. Medium. Return via same track.
From a very muddy Thompson's Track to an rough North South Track, this can't be described as the greatest of tracks. But the hut is a pleasant one with a great view. A side trip will take you to th...
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.