Te Aroha - Waitawheta Tramway Circuit
Track • 2 – 3 days. Medium. Loop track.
A varied loop through Kaimai Mamaku Forest Park, including both the highest point in the park and a section of the famous Waitawheta Tramway, and exploring the park's mining and milling history.
Mount Te Aroha
Track • 1 day. Easy/medium. Loop track.
A decent climb through rich forest to the summit of Te Aroha (953m), the highest point in the Kaimai Ranges. Extensive views out across the Kaimai-Mamaku Forest Park and out to sea.
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.