Rocky Creek / Griffin Creek
Track • 2 – 3 days. Medium. Loop track with a road section.
2 day circuit in luxurious west coast bush with short above the bushline tussock section. 2 huts, Griffin Hut is magical, complete with bath down by the river. This route guide covers the reverse o...
Track • 1 – 3 days. Medium. Return via same track.
A traverse of undulating tops to the summit of Mount Griffin. Good camping next to pretty tarns, striking cliffs, and an old serpentine mine.
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.