Places to stay
Hut • Shelter (DOC).
Historic hut on Tophouse Road, St James Conservation Area. The hut is being managed as a roadside shelter, and is empty of bunks. Two rooms with an open fireplace and new toilet outside. The hu...
Lake Guyon Hut
Hut • Standard Hut (DOC). Capacity: 4.
Standard 4 bunk hut on the shore of Lake Guyon, a popular fishing lake. This little hut is just 30 minutes detour from the St James Cycle Trail, so it can be busy with hunters, fishers, and cyclist...
Stanley Vale Hut
Hut • Basic Hut/Bivvy (DOC). Capacity: 7.
An historic farming homestead on the Stanley Vale Run, built by Joseph Young about 1866. The hut is built of timber, mud, and horsehair, with two rooms. DOC had been managing the hut as a day shelt...
- Great Walks Hut
- Well appointed DOC hut on one of the nine Great Walks. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Facilities typically include toilets, heating, water, and bunks with mattresses. Some huts will have lighting, gas cooking, and a DOC ranger.
- Serviced Hut
- Larger, high standard hut. Many serviced huts have a booking system and must be booked in advance. Other huts require a back country hut pass or 3 hut tickets. Mostly owned by DOC. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Serviced Alpine Hut
- Alpine hut owned by DOC or clubs such as NZAC. Generally no heating. Payment varies. Facilities typically include a toilet, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Standard Hut
- Typical DOC hut. Back country hut pass / 1 hut ticket required, no bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, and bunks with mattresses.
- Basic Hut/Bivvy
- Small DOC huts of 2-6 bunks. No fees or bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet and bunks with mattresses.
- Great Walks Campsite
- Campsites are available on most Great Walks, usually next to huts. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Toilets, water supply. No use of hut facilities not available.
- Serviced, Scenic, or Standard Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, and offering a range of facilities.
- Basic Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, but with minimal facilities. No fees or bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.
- Backcountry Campsite
- Walk-in access. Fees vary. No bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.