Fowlers Hut

St James Conservation Area

Historic hut on Tophouse Road, St James Conservation Area. The hut is being managed as a roadside shelter, and is empty of bunks. Two rooms with an open fireplace and new toilet outside.

The hut was built by the Hurunui Rabbit Board around 1890. It was used for maintenance of the rabbit-proof fence and for rabbit control. A section of the fence remains by the road.

This hut marks the terminus of the Fowler Pass Track.

Fowlers Hut • By Matthew. Licence: C.
Key information
Owner
Owner: DOC
Category
Shelter
Sleeps
Sleeps 0
0
Facilities
Toilet, Open fireplace
Water supply
Natural water source
Pass stream is 100m away.
Getting there
Getting there
From Hanmer Springs, over Jacks Pass and along Tophouse Road. The shingle road is open to all vehicles.

Foot access from Lake Guyon and Stanley Vale via the Fowler Pass Track.

Unlocked
This hut is unlocked and open to access.
Bookings
No bookings — open access
No — open access
Other
Altitude
950m
Mobile phone coverage
No coverage
Maps
NZTopo50-BT24
Map 
ID 15653

About this hut

Added 8 April 2015 by MatthewMatthew. 1 revision 12 April 2015 by MatthewMatthew.
108 views in the past year (9 per month).