Places to stay
Tarn Ridge Hut
Hut • Standard Hut (DOC). Capacity: 16.
This modern hut (1995?) replaces the smaller hut at the north end of Tarn Ridge and may replace Dorset Ridge Hut. Tank water. 8 mattresses and 4 sleeping platforms. Potbelly stove but no wood or co...
Hut • Basic Hut/Bivvy (DOC). Capacity: 2.
DOC's website states that they upgraded the small, cold Arete Biv to a 2-bunk 'Arete Hut' in 2007. Arete lies on both the Northern Crossing and the Tararua Main ridge. Both are excellent mul...
Arete Forks Hut
Hut • Standard Hut (DOC). Capacity: 6.
Arete Forks hut, photo taken in 1960 not long after construction. (6 bunks, wood-burner, firewood available) is a standard forestry hut in the Tararuas. The creek is 20m from the hut. The ...
- Great Walks Hut
- Well appointed DOC hut on one of the nine Great Walks. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Facilities typically include toilets, heating, water, and bunks with mattresses. Some huts will have lighting, gas cooking, and a DOC ranger.
- Serviced Hut
- Larger, high standard hut. Many serviced huts have a booking system and must be booked in advance. Other huts require a back country hut pass or 3 hut tickets. Mostly owned by DOC. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Serviced Alpine Hut
- Alpine hut owned by DOC or clubs such as NZAC. Generally no heating. Payment varies. Facilities typically include a toilet, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Standard Hut
- Typical DOC hut. Back country hut pass / 1 hut ticket required, no bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, and bunks with mattresses.
- Basic Hut/Bivvy
- Small DOC huts of 2-6 bunks. No fees or bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet and bunks with mattresses.
- Great Walks Campsite
- Campsites are available on most Great Walks, usually next to huts. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Toilets, water supply. No use of hut facilities not available.
- Serviced, Scenic, or Standard Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, and offering a range of facilities.
- Basic Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, but with minimal facilities. No fees or bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.
- Backcountry Campsite
- Walk-in access. Fees vary. No bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.