What's the most useless piece of kit you've carrie

For me the shorts were.
40 comments
11–20 of 40

Your plastic boxcutter doesn't weigh much and is pretty sharp ?. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61FfKhwLjDL._SX355_.jpg Keep one in my first aid bag.
Yeah I used to carry a wee one but found I never used it so it got left behind.
Ice axe when there is no snow....
I often take an ice axe on snowfree trips. So handy on loose scree, slippery river rocks or for river crossings. It's definately never been the most useless thing I've taken. Probably the most useless thing i carry into the bush - and I do this often - is the rubbish I carried out from the last trip and stowed down the outside of my packliner where I forgot it. Often find all sorts down there when I arrive soaked at a hut and fully strip my pack out to dry. Like those tin cans I cleaned out from that hut 3 trips ago ...
Before I got into walking sticks I used to tramp with an ice axe on all my trips. On one occasion I was ridiculed by someone from another club, out with his group and asked where the snow was. But I didn't mind as the ice axe worked for me. It was good for digging holes for # 2's and all sorts of things e.g. anchoring tent guys. Eventually I graduated to a wooden stick purloined from the Tin Range and then to first the Leki walking stick and now the Komperdell brand. I started using the ice axe as a walking stick on my Fiordland traverse as it was easier to move through the thick bush holding my ice axe rather than carrying it on my pack where it would catch on vegetation. It was something that evolved.
I'm not sure if this counts as useless, but with most tramping trips it's only natural that your pack gets lighter as the days pass by. As it happens, this is not so with geology field trips. Quite the opposite.
Kindle. unecessary for tramping, heavy, but still good to have especially if you're hut or tent bound in bad weather and youre fed up with killing sand flies
A kindle could get several sandflys at each swipe
@geeves, heaven forbid, it is sacrelidge to use a kindle as a sandfly swat or anything other than a useless book.
I have the kindle app on my cellphone. Cellphones are good. Coverage in spots. Camera. As well as all the apps on board. Two or three birds birds with one stone. Or sand flies if you wish.
11–20 of 40

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Honora
On 13 September 2017
Replies 39
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown