Tracks for trees

1–10 of 16

Hey all, First time posting here but not the first time I’ve visited these forums. I’ve picked up some great info from here before, so thank you all. I am after recommendations for tracks (or even just areas) where I can experience the most impressive stands of mature native forest. Big trees, beautiful groves, podocarp, beech, whatever. I have done a fair bit of tramping around the North Island in the five years that I have lived here, and have fallen in love with the native trees and forests of this land! Any recommendations would be appreciated. North or South Island, short walks, multi day, anything and everything. I am based in Auckland and have visited Waipoua, done the Whirinaki Track, and hope to visit Pureora in the near future. This summer I am spending some time heading down the South Island from Nelson to Fiordland via Nelson Lakes and the West Coast, so any information on tracks along this route would be particularly appreciated. Cheers!
Whirinaki and Urewera
Yep endorse Whirinaki and Urewera and Pureora also has some very impressive stands of podocarps too.
Ruapani track, lake Waikaremoana is fantastic. Don't underestimate the Waitakeres also for a local fix of big Kauri. Cascades is great as is the Hamilton track at the start of the Hillary trail.
I have done Whirinaki and the Hillary Trail (awesome trees on both). Have not yet made it to Te Urewera, and had intended to do the Manuoha Track but will definitely check out the Ruapani track now. It looks great, thanks for the tip!
The tallest native tree is in Pureroa: https://haere.net/Pirongia-The-Cone-2-days-loop-%28via-Bell-and-Tahuanui-tracks%29 Not the most impressive one but still interesting to see.
Since you're in Auckland, try the Rereatukahia track in the Kaimai Range. You don't need to go all the way, you know soon enough when you enter the magnificent kauri grove. I personally haven't seen a better one yet. Kauri have completely outcompeted everyone else and dominate this area.
Did you visit the Arohaki Lagoon while at Whirinaki. One of the best remaining Kahikatea stands you will see anywhere.
Wait till you hit the west coast you'll get your fill of native bush down there. It's almost nothing but native bush right to the road verge.
Kahikateas! Love these trees. There's a few pockets of bush around Auckland with some absolute crackers in them (Smith's Bush, Awaruku Reserve etc.) I have been meaning to go check out that biggest tree track for a while. Did see some big mature trees on the way down from the Pirongia summit. Can't remember what track though. And it looks as if I'm going to have to make my way back to Whirinaki as I didn't check out the lagoon when I was there. Will definitely check out the Rereatukahia Track as I I've been meaning to do more in the Kaimais, I've only done the Wairere Falls Track so far. Thanks for the tip. The most impressive kauri grove I've been through so far was at the top of the Waiotemarama Loop Track in the Waima Forest up North. The West Coast! This is what I keep hearing. Am absolutely stoked to be finally making it down south. From what I can gather there's particularly fine podocarp forest through the Westland/Tai Poutini NP. Any specific tracks anyone can recommend down south for big tree appreciation?
1–10 of 16

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by sleepsinatent
On 21 August 2017
Replies 15
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown