Lewis pass, MT technical

1–10 of 11

Hey guys, Im new to this wicked site and was wondering if someone could help. I will be doing a trip around the south in mid jan with my partner amie. We will be spanding a few night in the lewis pass area and have a few questions. Is there and safe parking on the road by mt techinal? I was going to take a spur to the tops from the road insted of going via the track up the road,is this a option anyone has taken? Im am in to landscape/animal photopraphy, has anyone seen Red deer/chamios from the tops track of will i need to get a fair way off it? Will this place be pretty bizy in early feb? Any help will be great. Cheers S.A
Has anyone got any info for me please?
Honora is obviously busy she tends to come in and out of the site for a few days at a time then disappears for awhile perhaps if you email her off the site you may get a quicker reply she would be a perfect contact for this info.
SA,there`s a guy living at the Boyle River who will drop you off/pick up & store your wheels off the highway.He`s the club captain of one of the ChCh tramping clubs.If you want to avail yourself I`ll send you his number.He charged us $25 for a drop off-there has been occasional car break-ins in the area. You won`t find a stampeed of red deer on the tops;heli-hunting wised them up,but down in the bush...still,not the best place to get good pics.Chamois,I`m not sure.We saw one on Mt Zampa a couple of months ago(other side of the highway from Technical). The warm months are the most popular,but away from the huts,you`ll hardly be inundated with company. The track up from the Pass itself is the easier access,but any of the valleys-Nina,Doubtful,Deer-will take you up.Depends on your fitness,skill level etc which is beyond me.There`s several bivvys within cooee of the tops but I`d carry a fly to give yourself options. As for landscape pics,you`ll be spoiled for choice.Take your widest lens!Good luck.
Hi guys, I'm back. Been too busy with Facebook! That club captain dude is Bill Nossiter at the Boyle River Outdoor Education Centre. Very friendly, outgoing fella and would probably have good knowledge of his back yard to boot! Actually I haven't done too much up that way. I always think of the Lewis as a clag magnet...
Forgive my ignorance.........but what's a 'clag magnet'? Not a term I've ever heard before.............sorry!
Ha! It attracts bad weather from unexpected quarters.
Now that explains everything..........thanks...!
cheers guys, good info, i dont come on here alot but in impressed with the site. Any more info that pops up will be good, also you talk about the other side of the road? Can you tell me of some good walks in there? Cheers Jamie.
Foleys Track,opposite Deer Valley,will take you beyond the bushline,to Travers Peak & along to Travatore.From here,you look directly down to the carpark & tarn at the Lewis Pass.Further along,a steep descent to Henry Saddle,up the other side,& sidle round to Zampa Lake,1450m.A cracker camp site.Couple of options to get back to the main road. Cheers,Lew
1–10 of 11

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by sikaddiction
On 12 July 2010
Replies 10
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown