Record trampers putting pressure on DOC

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2017/02/record-trampers-putting-pressure-on-doc.html Record numbers of visitors are tramping our Great Walks over the summer, and it's putting pressure on the Department of Conservation (DoC). In Fiordland, on the remote Routeburn Track, even simple things like maintaining a toilet can get complicated. Lake MacKenzie Hut on the Routeburn Track is one of the most remote flush toilets in the country. It's the second most popular of all the Great Walks with thousands of walkers tackling the track. "We've got 15 tanks of sewage to come out, ten tanks from this particular hut and four from the camp site," DoC hut ranger supervisor Pania Dalley says . A sewage disposal operation with a big price tag, requiring a chopper to lift 600 litres of human waste within the tanks. Tourists have found the tracks to be bustling with fellow walkers. Hiker Michael Dunphy said: "It was a bit like Queen Street yesterday" and Nicola Dunphy said it's been quite noisy with some people's alarms going off at 5:30am. The hut is at capacity from October right through to May, and that leads to an influx of day walkers who can't get a booking but still need to use a toilet. An increase in the number of walkers has seen the amount of sewage double in the last three years, to fifteen tanks being taken out today when it used to be about eight. Hut ranger Clive Rule has manned the MacKenzie Hut for 25 years, and he's seen bookings for the 55 beds made six months in advance. "We are at capacity, we wouldn't want more people, I think, no," Mr Rule said. It's a tough job to keep the balance between a clean green wilderness experience and the demand for our great outdoors. Newshub.
44 comments
41–44 of 44

DOC are having to juggle resources as the front country takes most of the resources they have, i'd expect quite a few huts in the backcountry to go
I know of at least one hut which was destroyed in a fire (Casey Hut in Arthur's Pass NP) where DoC said they will not replace it because it doesn't get used enough. After debate, they have agreed to replace it, but they are going to do so by relocating another hut from further up the valley (Poulter hut). I also know that groups often walk or bike in there and then tent after using all the services at the hut - net result is no income to replace the hut with over and above the pittance in each years budget which doesn't cover hut costs at all. While this is not a planned removal, the lack of income means that replacement is not financially viable and so they need to shuffle huts in order to provide shelter at that particular location.
DoC have griped for years that the Poulter was overhutted and were keen to ensure the hut population was permanently reduced after the Casey Hut fire. I understand the idea of moving the Poulter Hut (at the Minchin/Poulter confluence) is dead in the water. We need to keep at the DoC management in Wellington to get a hut at Casey. I guess the FMC are the right pressure group for this. The only time I saw folks camping at the Casey Hut was when the hut was full. Apart from my first trip where I suspect the couple wanted privacy (and secrecy)...for obvious reasons! We have been to this hut 28 times.
I have been there twice overnight and both times bikers were tenting but using the hut. I wonder if it may have been the fact that they had lugged one up there and felt the need to use it. They had bloody flash bikes and certainly weren't short of dosh. I understood as of July the talks to relocate Poulter were still ongoing, but I'm not a member of any clubs so admit I'm possibly a bit out of the loop on this one.
41–44 of 44

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by waynowski
On 3 February 2017
Replies 43
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown