River crossing practise locations near Chch?

1–10 of 14

Does anyone know any suitable river crossing practise locations near Christchurch? Matthias
I [several decades ago] used to help out with local Mountain Safety Council river crossing courses. We used to use the Waimak, depending on its flow, of course. It usually has multiple braids of differing depths. Do a rece along the stop banks to find a likely looking place. It pays to cautiously 'test the waters' first to check for holes or snags and keep away from braids that might send someone into the willows [potentially getting caught up in their root systems. Obviously start with the shallower, tamer braids to get your techniques off pat and then try some of the more challenging ones. Have a safety team down stream to collect any one who may come a drift.
Thanks, was thinking of the Waimak, just still unclear as to where to best start looking first. What are the stop banks, and where? If you would have a map link that would really help. I'm pretty able to assess the river. Years of experience in swift water rescue involving plenty of walking and swimming in rivers, including in situations that not even the stupidest backpacker would ever consider crossing. Just don't want to walk along the entire Waimak to find a good spot, so really appreciate any pointers! Is water quality a concern? Cheers, Matthias
Hi Matthias Can't remember exactly but we used to go upstream of the bridge at Belfast on the true right. There are roads down to the river. It looks like you can turn left down Dickeys Rd (heading to Coutts Island) and then drive down the embankment to the river side. There is also the Ashley. However the rivers are polluted these days so I'm not sure if it's safe to do river crossing in them nowadays. We used to go to APNP on our tramping skills courses and practise upstream of Klondyke corner. But that is a long way for you to go. You may be able to combine the river crossing course with other bushcraft courses.
The area Honora describes is where we used to go as well. Its not possible to be too specific as the river braids change hence the need to suss it out each time you use it. A 'stop bank' is the man made embankment that runs along the river bank there is a shingle road along the top of it. While the water quality sadly is a concern these days, people still swim there. Having said that I wouldn't be rushing to drink the stuff.
Ok cool thanks, will check that area out!
Hi Mariku I attended one of the last MSC river crossing courses. It was held in the Waimakariri at the end of Haul Road which is off Mcleans Island Road. You can drive to the end and park. Here is a map link https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/Mcleans+Island+Rd,+Christchurch+8051/@-43.4689644,172.5062801,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x6d31f4751041002d:0xa71b4ede88140829!8m2!3d-43.4684657!4d172.4973297 Lots of different channels, of different depths. As someone else has said, watch out for dangers downstream, and also watch out for jetboats. Hope this helps.
Hey all, thanks heaps for your support!
TheGoodLife, the map link doesn't work, can you help me solve that?
Try this https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/Mcleans+Island+Rd,+Christchurch+8051/@-43.4689644,172.5062801,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x6d31f4751041002d%3Cimg or do a google search for Haul Road Christchurch - zoom out and you will see Mcleans Island Road
1–10 of 14

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Mariku
On 11 January 2017
Replies 13
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown