Gaiters against thorns for trail running shoes?

Hi, do you wear trail running or other light shoes for tramping, but go into relatively demanding terrain nonetheless? If yes, I would like to know how you protect yourself from thorns e.g. when walking on tracks that are covered with cut off gorse, or bush bashing through thorny areas - with trail running shoes. I don't want to rekindle the "boot vs shoe" debate, and I know that trail running shoes are not made for that kind of terrain. But a solution to this problem is what I am looking for. I want to wear trail running shoes on long tramps where some sections still require protection from thorns, but I don't want to wear or carry a pair of boots just for that. Many reasons - but again, I don't want to redo the "boots vs shoes" debate here. The gaiters would need to have these features: => Protect the entire shoe all the way down to the sole, as thorns commonly punch through the sides of trail running shoes. => Reasonably thorn proof material: Heavy cordura, canvas, or even medium heavy leather might work. => Reaching at least up to just under the knee, possibly higher. => Sole of the shoe must not be covered by (too many) straps to maintain good traction. I have looked at the Berghaus Yeti Attack, but they have so much tension in the rubber around the shoe that they would deform the shoe. They also cover too much of the sole with rubber, which would lead to too much lost traction in slippery terrain. http://int.berghaus.com/yeti-attak/421339.html There are also desert running gaiters against sand - high quality velcro gets permanently sewn to the side of the shoe all around, just above the sole, and then the gaiter gets velcro'd to that when needed. This attachment system seems like it could work well for my application and is shown well in the pictures in the following link, but the material is way too thin for my purposes. http://www.runningultramarathons.com/desert-running-review-of-ar-desert-gaiters-and-the-rough-country-trail-running-gaiters/ Do you know of a solution, or can you think of one? Ciao, Matthias
22 comments
21–22 of 22

I don't use gaiters, tried them, didn't like having to worry about an extra piece of clothing, or getting hot feet. In snow they were useful but that's a different story. I always use long pants. Just like in Australia I don't get why locals use shorts in a bush that is often pricky and scratching your legs, and where skin cancer from sun exposure is a real concern. I don't want to have to put sun screen on my legs every 2 hours or so, pants are so much more useful to protect against sandflies, mosquitoes, bush, sun and cold wind. When they get wet they just dry when you walk in about 20 minutes, not a big deal. And I only get rocks in my shoes when I walk on sand or in creek beds gravel, so not really a problem for me. I use low hiking shoes, I feel that high boots are weakening my ankles and they lack in comfort. Plus you have to carry that extra weight with each step! And when you travel that's less weight in your luggage, and when they are wet they dry quicker than boots :)
I agree with much of that. You may laugh - I use long pants in dry weather, and shorts when it rains - with long polopro underwear underneath. Works well for me. Shorts don't stick to your legs when wet like pants do, and the polypro is warm even when wet. I rarely use rain pants, it needs to get pretty serious before I take them out of the backpack. I carry them every time though. Totally agree re boots.
21–22 of 22

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Mariku
On 10 January 2017
Replies 21
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown