NZ placenames

Yet again I find myself musing on NZ placenames & the humour of past cartographers. This time its because I've stumbled on the two neighbouring trig pounts south of Palmerston Nth: Warra, Matta respectively. But there are other gems out there: Oriwa, and it's neighbouring summit: Notoriwa. That series of Jspanese car manufacturers climbing as spurs from the Whitcombe. Jumped up Downs ... for the sheer joy if the name. What other gems are out there? What are your favourites?
18 comments
11–18 of 18

The Nelson lakes Mt Misery almost lived up to its name: dropping from the tops, saturated and cooling rapidly, to where the hut should be in darkness & fog ... to find no hut. Dig GPS out of the bottom of the pack: yes we're in the right spot. Tall wet tussock ... what was rapidly looking like a night in the tent was going to be great fun ... Luckily the fog lifted and the torchlight caught one of the track markers from the track up from D'Urville - leading to the hut 200m south of where its supposed to be. So close ... but in those conditions it might as well have been miles away - for the chances I'd have had of spotting it.
A mate of mine was conceived in Mt Misery Hut.
@ Honora re your post I saw the heading of the other thread & thought someone has topped being conceived at Misery Hut with being "sired at the South Pole" until I quickly realised that the other thread was about Sir Ed.
@glennj: That is so funny!
1 deleted post from Kreig
Kaka Creek is my favourite. Kaka meaning faeces in several languages. So it is literally called Shit Creek. :)
Kaka does not mean shit in maori. It may pertain to a bridge or the parrot. But ironically there is a tutaekuri river in the hawkes bay which means dog shit river. There's an urenui in the Taranaki which means big penis. That's enough school yard humour for me for now.
I know it doesn't in Maori, but it does in other languages, so still funny. :D
Bucklands hut i like.On Westcoast. (Buller)
11–18 of 18

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by madpom
On 8 September 2016
Replies 17
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown