Washing Packs

1–10 of 18

One of my packs is a bit dirty and grimy. Has anyone washed a pack before? Any suggestions on how to do it?
Yup. You take out the stays so it can curve around your agitator. If it smells really badly of B.O. as mine did, the stuff you put on carpet to neutralise cat's piss gets rid of that. I soaked my shoulder straps in undiluted solution and it as the only thing that worked. Baking soda didn't. Nowadays I have a pack without stays that is quite small and easy to throw in the machine(GoLite Pinnacle). I note that Aarn Packs doesn't recommend washing his packs. He says to brush the dirt off. I read this after I washed his pack he lent me!
Good grief, this is the first time I have seen this topic come up. Mine just gets the treatment with the garden hose from time to time. I attack the stubbon bits with a stiff brush or a broom. I don't think it is recommended to use detergents on a pack. A bit of river crossing practise might achieve the same ends.
I did a google search before posting and could not find much on washing packs..... The main reason I need to wash mine is that I carried two Snapper inside it the other night and they were a bit sticky. Think I would soak mine in the bath with Napi-sam or whatever it is called.
Don't put them in a washing machine - most spin fast enough to damage the plastic hardware. Just use some washing soap (Sunlight), a stiff brush and a hose.
People actually wash packs?
:) A thought that went through my mind as i was packing thursday night. People actually wash packs?
Suppose they only need washing if they have been used to transport raw meat or fish.
Meat or fish. I would guess leave it outside for a few days, the flies will clean it up pretty quick.
I have to say I assumed people often washed their packs! I guess I wash it from time to time because it looks dirty...when I had the smelly pack, it was embarassing to be able to smell it in other people's cars. Maybe you're all bachelors!
1–10 of 18

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by militaris
On 11 March 2010
Replies 17
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown