Garry River Track

Hi, I was up on Mount Richardson yesterday and noticed a well cut track leading down from the 797m trig on the Blowhard Track. Apparently this was cut by CTC members some time back. Wondering if anybody has followed this and where you went next. Could be kinda fun to head up Pioneer Stream and then up to Bob's Camp.
14 comments
11–14 of 14

The CTC have now cut the track that goes from Garry River up to the high point (Pt 1046). They have cut and marked from the river to the 900m contour. From here the going is easy through scrub and the odd deer trail in mature forest with an open understory. Where this is not the case, stick to the scrub as the forest up high is very stunted and scratchy. There are no markers or cairns above the 900m contour but just keep heading uphill and you'll get onto the track to Bob's Biv at the top. This track starts directly across the river from the track that runs from Trig point 797m down to the Garry. I think this trip is best done from there uphill to Bob's Biv rather than the other way round unless you enjoy route-finding (which is straightforward).
This track and the nearby Ted's track on now marked on the latest version of Freshmap. There are also sites where you can send a gpx. file to paste in your tracks you've followed. They can be found in the orux map site and via irnzmaps as well. I was pleased to see City Council tracks on the site that I couldn't find elsewhere.
great
Had a go at finding Ted's Track (runs between the Blowhard and the Bypass Tracks on Mt Richardson). We couldn't find the top end but found the start of it at the low saddle between Maori Stream and the Bald Hills stream. The start is marked with 4 yellow tin lids painted yellow nailed to a beech tree. However we didn't go any further as it was very weed-infested and the bush was very wet. So we'll explore it when it is dried out. I suspect we'll have to do a bit of snipping. There is some gorse at the start closing the track up a bit.
11–14 of 14

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by matthew
On 2 January 2016
Replies 13
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown