New Pack

G'day all, Im looking at replacing my old pack. Im after a pack for 5-7 day trips, 75-85ltr. What are people using, and any Recommendations would be appreciated? Anyone using the Deuter Aircontact 75+10 ltr? Thanks.
49 comments
41–49 of 49

The Brisbane Macpac shop seemed pretty open when I was in it last week...
I've used some of the Macpac/Fairydown models from time to time and found them comfortable. However if recommending a pack I would say explore the Aarn range. After a lot of research & a recommendation from a mountaineer aquaintance I bought an Aarn Guiding Light pack with Sport Balance pockets. It's been given a helluva workout and now a few modifications & minor repairs later I can say it's the best pack I've owned in my forty years of tramping/work in the hills. [ps I think Aarn has replaced the bits I broke with more robust materials on the newer versions of the pack]
I now have a Torri ( Thanks Aardvark ) its a few years old, but if the new ones are anything like the old one,s then you cant go wrong. Ive done my best to destroy it and it keeps comming back for more. Basic and rugged, perfect.
I have a Fairydown Pheniox nearly 10 yrs old 85L still going strong, I agree that these old Fairydown and Macpac are great packs- strong made to last.You can pick up these on Trade Me for a good price. I also have an Osprey Atmos 50L large size as I'm trying to go more light weight, these are good packs for up to 3-4 day tramps, they have a good mess backing which keeps you back cool, they have lots of pockets and attachment systems. No pack is water tight so I always use a pack liner and carry a nylon outer cover.
Endorse your comments on those tough old Fairydowns and Macpacs. However being a lightweight tramper I have to say my GoLite Pinnacle is pretty tough too. I drag it through the scrub with no concerns due to the Spectra ripstop Dyneema fabric. It has needed a bit of stitching reinforced with dental floss in a couple of places over the years, that's all. It weighs 600g and the extra weight of the NZ packs equates to 4 days' food for me! I've borrowed Aarn Packs twice and they have been great. I used one for a 5 day trip where I think I was carrying a decent weight including a Minaret fly and my plastic climbing boots and crampons. I'd buy one if Aarn made a lightweight one under 1kg. However he is probably right when he says his design means an Aarn Pack is just as comfortable as a really lightweight pack so I'll get one sometime...
I feel like an old crusty at 25yo saying this, but I say it to everybody in the market for a new pack, buy an old Macpac online. I've had my Traverse for, hmm, 7 years, and hope to never replace it.
I reckon you can't go too wrong with that advice as long as you don't mind the weight!
I love my Fairydown Endeavour - but man, it's getting heavy these days when I look at what's out there...
The new Macpacs are out including Torre, Ravine etc http://www.macpac.co.nz/shop/en_nz/gear-and-clothing/packs/packs-trek. I pick up my Cascade 75 FL on Saturday, its a clearance one but will be very new for me (and cheap). Can't wait - hopefully I can squeeze in a jaunt up Mt Somers this weekend ;-)
41–49 of 49

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by lostone
On 2 March 2010
Replies 48
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown