Tramp vs Hobo

1–10 of 16

Hi all. How differently would you pack from your normal tramping gear set-up (even extended tramps), if you were just going with the flow for a year or two? No vehicle, just you and a pack. :) I've got ideas of my own, of course, but am curious to hear your thoughts.
tramping? and or camping?
Forget fancy fleece and down. Go back to Swandri etc. A little bit heavier but lasts a lot longer and goes further between washes $2 shop tarp A bit rattly in the rain but never leaks Hard hat for dumpster diving 4 season jandles
Nice one Geeves. Made me laugh. :D Both Wayno. Just wandering, whenever and wherever it tickles your fancy. I'd expect to go backcountry for extended periods. I'd carry more weight, of more durable gear. Full length oilskin for starters. A fairly decent sized pot. One with a decent copper bottom. I would actually wear boots instead of shoes. Nothing about this period would be about speed. A throw-the-watch-and-phone away kind of journey. Wander in and out of the bush as I feel like it. Accept a ride if I feel like it. Stay somewhere for a while to help someone out; who knows how? Just wander freely, no plans, no time constraints. :) So yeah, much more durable gear.
A long stick with my belongings tied in a piece of cloth on one end :-)
Sounds romantic. I like it. But the prospect of sore shoulders and getting constantly caught up in scrub will preclude me from taking this particular approach. ;)
Funny, I was contemplating the same question whilst plodding up an interminable hill the other day. In that most huts have a wood stove, or fire, I wondered if it would be possible to get away with not carrying a cooker? Would save heaps of weight and the hassle of getting new fuel. Would need to carry some food which didn't need cooking for those wet moments where a fire is not possible. That friend of mine just carried a bed roll, with, presumably, some more clothes in it. He carried no food or water, knocking on doors for a glass of water and ending up being invited in for a meal and/or the night. He was on roads though. Often went hungry for a few days and slept under trees etc. One rule was he had to say "yes" to everything except car lifts. Consequently he was perpetually stoned, as he meandered around East Cape, as every car stopped and offered him a joint! lol
Very interesting... Although, no rules for me. But also no drugs. I don't like them. I don't like the idea of having to rely on others. That, to me, is just selfish. Of course, inevitably there will be times when gracious goodwill will be offered. But I want to be able to sustain myself, not leech off others. This to me is a greater freedom than having literally nothing and just seeing what people give/do for you.
What kind of a pack would be best for something like this? Given I'd be wearing an oilskin coat a lot of the time, I think an over the shoulder duffel might be the way to go.
cactus pants and gaiters.....
1–10 of 16

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Kreig
On 30 June 2015
Replies 15
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown