A few tarping questions

1–10 of 21

This thread branched from "experience with cuben shelters" on . Explore the branch.

Hi guys, just a few questions. Anyone know of anywhere in nz where you can get a decent silnylon tarp? About 8x10 foot? Also, in terms of groundsheets for use under them, what would you guys reccomend. I hear that tyvek is good, but just looking at the spec for it, it only has 2500mm HH, so I feel like seepage could be an issue. I have heard that the polycryo stuff is good, but that is afaik, not available over here. Also, Back onto tyvek, anyone know of a source of it in the auckland area, or one that would ship to auckland? Im looking into maybe making a tarp out of it on the cheap. Cheers guys! (Btw, just branching to circumvent the new topic bug aha)
blue warehouse polytarp makes a good groundsheet as long as you are on flat ground. If you wake up beside the groundsheet in the morning
The blue polytarps tend to be a smidge on the heavy side dont they? Ive heard polycro/polyolefin mentioned as being good, would polyethylene be comparable do you think? Im mainly at the moment looking for something to help baby my ailing bivvy bag along a bit, but Im also looking at getting me a bigger tarp and then going without a bivvy bag on some trips in warmer months, and would need a groundsheet to keep my sleeping bag serviceable
When I started tramping the standard groundsheet available was a green heavy duty version of blue polytarp cut to the right size and eylets at each corner. Now several decades later tramping shops still sell these for 50 bucks or so. If you go to the warehouse (and most auto and hardware shops) they sell a 6 foot by 8 foot light polytarp for about 6 bucks. Fold in half and your good to go. Despite being twice the size its lighter than the original but also in theory easier to damage on stones etc although one does try to avoid sleeping on stones anyway. Eylets never get used on the original so why worry that they are now only on one side and if things really get ugly you can fold it over your bivy bag for and extra layer of waterproof. As for water rating its enough to line a swimming pool Tyvec is used as a building wrap. Most builders supplys carry it. It will be branded though but does it matter if your groundsheet tells everyone where you shop.
Ah right. Actually, I really should just ask my mate for some tyvek offcuts. His dad is a builder. *facepalms* why didnt I think of that earlier. And I would just go with polytarp, but Im looking to go with something that can easily be cut down to the exact size required, while being as light and tough as possible. Although I have a feeling its a case of tough, cheap, light and workable. Pick 3 (or two). Thanks very much for the advice. If it comes to it, I might just go to the warehouse and call it a day day.
Oh also, a question for anyone that tarps with walking poles. What knot do you use to go round the poles? Im using clove hitches atm and they are a bugger to undo in the morning!
my personal preferences groundsheet - an orange plastic MSC survival bag. (the full length not the pack liner). Reasonable weight, totally waterproof, cheap, long lasting and its also my emergency shelter though its only been used to get inside once or twice in the present 8 year lifetime. Goes everywhere,including climbs and daytrips. Perfect groundsheet. silnylon fly/tarp - online or hunting and fishing. 3000 x 3000 mm is about the practical minimum. clove hitch - round the pole? put a couple or more extra wraps around the pole between the first and second hitch or assuming the same cord goes on to be the guy rope, just 2 complete turns around the pole and and a single half hitch on itself before continuing to the anchor/tree/rock (photos are better for describing knots and hitches)
Same cord goes on to be the guy rope, so the clove hitches ive been using end up tensioned enough that thy bind up. Ill give your second suggestion a go next time I use my tarp. Just tied it using a hockeystick and a bit of the line I use for my tarp and it should work admirably. Thanks for that suggestion.
Clove hitch doesnt lock that tight. If you jerk back on the cord a few times it should release
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone can put a name to this knot? I was taught it when I was sailing a while ago, but I was never given a name for it. It is essentially a bunch or round turns with the tail tied with two half hitches. It functions as a slide and grip knot/ adjustable loop. Seems to work better than a midshipmans hitch, tautline hitch, blakes hitch or similar. I cant reliably get any of them to work in the rope I use for tarp lines, but this unnamed knot seems to work, but I havent field tested it yet. If anyone can suggest any other knots that will give a slide and grip/adjustable loop, that work in rather slippery paracordesque rope, then please give me a shout because Im sick of using truckies hitches on every line and having to retie them with each adjustment. If someone can explain how to add a picture to a post, I can put one up.
1–10 of 21

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Size12
On 23 May 2015
Replies 20
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown