West edge of Tongariro National Park

1–10 of 25

My 35 year son and I will tramping around the North Island for 2 weeks in the latter part of April. Most hikes seem straight-forward (The Pinnacles, Te Aroha,etc.) but I am thinking of something a little creative in Tongariro and I would like to talk with someone knowledgeable about it. Namely, park the camper van at Mangahuia, take the Whakapapaiti Hut Track, stop overnight at Mangaturuturu Hut, hike out to Horopito, then take the train (at least the map shows train tracks heading north and south)back up to National Park, and then hitch a ride back to the camper van. Is this feasible? We want a good hard 2 day hike, but would prefer not to backtrack. We are serious hikers from California. Look at gallery.me.com/billdoty to see what we like. In fact i would really like to dialogue with someone who does a lot of tramping around the North Island. Maybe skype at some point? My email address is [Email address removed]. Thanks. Bill Doty
I don't think you can get on the train at Horopito. Passenger trains normally run only on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (once a day each direction). The only stops near Ruapehu are Ohakune and National Park. http://www.tranzscenic.co.nz/services/overlander.aspx
Briar: Thank you very much for the info. I will start looking for another way to return to the camper van. I read somewhere that there is a service which will carry hikers back to the other side of Tongariro. do you know anything about that? Bill
Your trip idea sounds great. I havn't been down the Horopito track from Mangaturuturu but I am told it is muddy. Don't even think about the train. You'd be better to contact one of the many backpackers in National Park. Most of them have vans that can shuttle you around the mountain and you'd be better to have them mind your vehicle as well. There is an unsavory element in that area that likes to prey on tourist vehicles in remote carparks. Another trip you could consider that is creative in the park is this http://www.tramper.co.nz/?2218 I have done this a number of times and I really like it. It is off track and you will need a tent, but it is a wonderful part of the park.
I wouldn't go out down the Horopito Track, when we did it it was muddy but also since then there was a lot of tree fall after a storm. You would then have quite a long boring walk out to Horopito over a farm, and along a road. It would be better to exit onto the Ohakune Mountain Rd via the Cascades which are neat. It would be a short tramp though. You would need transport from there too as it's a long road walk down to Ohakune.
Hi Bill, Myself and four mates did the Horopito Mangahuia circuit in July 2008. We're pretty expereinced trampers with decades under the belts. We struck a really bad storm between Lake Surprise and Whakapapaiti Hut and it really was life threatening. Be aware that this is NZ alpine environment and can be a 'stroll in the park' or deadly. On to nicer elements. We have done various circuits on Ruapehu at all times of the year. Horopito Maungahuia is nice but not the nicest. There is a shuttle operator from National Park (delivery to Horopito road end and pick up from Maungahuia (region has some cell phone reception to advise of imminent exit and desire to be colllected) cost us $35 a head in '08 for 5 people. Likely it will cost same for 2 as for 5. (The operator was a lightweight racist but you have to ignore that stuff occasionally if you need the lift) The track up HOropito is mixed - a little muddy but as long as it hasn't been raining too much you can have dry feet right up til the river crossing 15 minutes from the Maungaturuturu hut. The hut is Wanganui Tramping Club and a rellly nice old school type hut with views up the mountain, snow groomers visble working on Turoa skifield at night if clear skies. TImes we anticipated for the trip were Day 1 Friday 4 hours to M'turuturu > Day 2 Sat 7 Hours to Whakapapaiti > Day 3 Sun 3-4 Hours to Maungahuia campground You may need to get permission/a permit to cross private land at Horopito> I'll look into it and advise. Lake Surprise is nice enough on the way. Not a swimming lake really. Route is cross - valley, valley wall climb descend cross large valley climb valley wall/ descend hopefully with views Whakapapaiti is a nice DoC hut with fireplace (in 2008), very easy track out down from there and we only did the full length instead of exiting out to the Chateau Tongariro becaseu we hadn't done the route all the way down before. If you ask me there are better Ruapehu walks. I might be able to get you on to our yahoo group website gmtrammping to view some photos of the trip I'm not sure whether it's a private lock-down site but let me know. I'd also suggest some alternatives, but let me know if you are determined to do this route
You need to get an access permit from DOC Whakapapa or Ohakune. If you use shuttle transport I assume they deal with that for you.
Permit? What permit? It's a National Park!!
You still need an "access" permit to cross the farmland to the start / exit of the Horopito - Mangaturuturu track. Available from i-Site Ohakune Wed- Sun as well.
Bill, re my earlier post re this Horopito M'huia track being ...OK but not necessarilly the best. Why don't you consider the 'Northern Circuit' of Ruapehu. It starts as part of the famous Tonagriro Crossing then diverts through Oturere Valley - (god's rock garden, a beautiful thing) mixed territory, good views, historic hut to visit (Old Waihohonu), Tama Lakes for a 1/2 hour side trip if the Wx is good. One of my favourites tramps in the area. Friday nite stay at Maungatopopo Hut(or camp) for an early departure, Oturere for lunch, Waihohonu night, 5 - 6hours out to the Chateau (potential side trip to Tama Lakes, pass Taranaki Falls (close to civilisation but nice) Vehicle security possible. Lots of ticks in the boxes.
1–10 of 25

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Bill Doty
On 7 February 2010
Replies 24
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown