PLB's / EPIRB's

I have read several discussions on the above subject in the archives with much interest. However with age and certain recent medical diagnosis one begins to think a bit more about personal safety perhaps more from the point of view that I have the means to summon assistance if needed to give reassurance for those that might not be accompanying me on the journey. Hence I turn to the community for opinions on locator beacons for tramping. What type, brand, size weight, is one considered to be better than another (or is that an objective point of view), and obviously the cost factor not that I think cost has a lot to do with remaining alive (perhaps)? Who carries one? What is it? Ever had to use one? PLB or EPIRB, I have had a good look around the net, there is a wide and varied choice, a little more information from those in the know would be appreciated. Especially as it looks more likely that I will be doing more solo trips.
29 comments
11–20 of 29

Very true Phillip. I'd rather have zero connection. But to have my location pop up on the youth's computers would be cool. That's all I'm looking for. I'm not looking to have a set check-in time or anything like that. Just when I can, every few days or so. :)
Sounds like you need the epirb to call the cavalry if all else fails and a device to let friends and family know how you are going. My understanding is that there is some sort of cell phone coverage over quite a bit of this trail so as long as you can charge your phone (solar charger?) and can tolerate gaps of a few days at times between updates this could be an option. otherwise mountain radio still exists but is really a voice message relay only ie you speak to the operator who then passes on the message. Also its heavy and you have to set up the ariel for your scheduled contact time which can be a hassle. Or a spot etc which has more features but less coverage. EPIRB is just a big alarm button. Modern units have built in GPS and the standard response is a helicopter. The tramping club Im in sends one out with all trips. I think out of 4 units used every weekend for 3 years there have been 2 activations. One was a broken leg dont know the other one. One of the 4wd clubs Im in has one that goes out on trips. They have used it twice as well One was a heart attack and a doctor on the trip had already said nothing more to be done but they were an hour from cell phone reception The other was a drunk quad bike rider that rode into the front of one of the 4wds and needed a helicopter ride.
I'd never take an EPIRB..... ;) PLB yes, EPIRB..... ahhh, no. I wasn't aware there was cell coverage for much of the trail. What about in the south? I would have expected much bigger blind spots than just a few days' hike....??
As I've mentioned before, SPOT uses globalstar satellites which only go as far as 52 degrees south during their orbit. As such, you'll need a view of the northern sky to get reliable coverage with these. They also do not let you know if your message has sent successfully or not, and do not allow incoming messages. I've used inreach (delormain) running on the iridium network for a few years now. I'd send about 20 messages a month and receive about half of that - when working in the back country. I've never had a failure to send, and the longest it has taken for a message to send is 30 minutes. The non-emergency messages on inreach try for a while, then sleep for 20 minutes before trying again, so this basically means that the system always has managed to send on 1st or 2nd attempt. I choose the best available spot for the beacon (avoiding large trees or overhead bluffs) but never have wandered more than 20m from a camp spot to find one. I've sent from the floors of tight valleys, and under wet double-canopy bush ok. Clearly though you could find yourself in dodgier spots after an accident, in which case an EPIRB would have a much better chance. However, the outfit I'm currently working for have several groups using both inreach and iridium satphones - and they';re saying that they have been having big problems connecting since jan/feb this year. I've not been working in remote areas during this time, so can't confirm that a problem exists. Whatever you buy will be a compromise. I'd still go for the inreach for my line of work - the need to reassure people I'm OK and to maintain some communication with family is as important as the need to call in the cavalry. Likewise the biggest risk to me is getting stuck the wrong side of passes / rivers in bad weather. I travel 'heavy' and always have plenty of food to wait it out, so being able to reassure people I'm OK but will be late is very important to avoid needless SAR callouts. However, if I needed to be sure that I could always call for rescue, no matter where I was, en EPIRB would be the choice.
Izogi, appreciate the comments. Also HutchK , you both chose partly on the weight factor. Something I have become more conscious of with age. Therefore I doubt I will extend to a dual system. PhilipW, It would be nice to have a system that says I am OK and for others to check my whereabouts. Also possibly an advantage if you don't send a message, the last could possibly give a start point to search. But that is of little reassurance to the one waiting at home wondering why you haven't kept a schedule and getting into a panic, something that’s likely to occur for the reasons quoted by Waynowski. To me it seems more logical to have some form of certainty, like, here’s the map of where I shall be, possible side trips notated, I start at this date and time and will contact by this date and time on completion, if not heard from by then and you have not heard of me being rescued by setting off my locator beacon you had best ring the authorities and advise I am awol. Definites, no ifs but’s or maybes. Used a similar tactic in my youth when tramping on a regular basis. No PLB’s, no long range radio you could carry (at least not for long), no cell phones (not that they are of any great use, except to disturb the peace). Made a practise of stopping by the local constabulary office and delivered intentions and map, and if I didn’t pick same up by certain day and time best they organise to look for me. I always allowed a little grace on the timings and luckily never had to inconvenience anyone. Some good points have been made.
Madpom, you of all people know the importance of communication, your own testimony tells us that, and that perhaps has some bearing on your choice.
Frank, I completely agree. That's the way I've always hiked; let the authorities and a reliable friend know my intentions, and then stick to them. This time it will be different, because there'll be teenagers wanting to track me. I think it's a toss up of an InReach, or just using my phone whenever I happen to have coverage. If I only use my phone, then I'll buy a PLB. And I'm with you; I'd have to be in real dire straights to run out of supplies. Happy to wait out weather.
Madpom, what's the weight factor with the inreach gear?
MP, forget that last comment I just found your write up on InReach. Very comprehensive and informative.
In terms of what I was saying above - I don't count a PLB as an intrusive active communication. Basically the idea is to avoid using it if humanly possible. My one just sits in one of my Aarn front pockets and gets ignored.
11–20 of 29

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by FrankB
On 16 March 2015
Replies 28
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown