Boots, Boots & Boots....

Hey guys, I'm new on this forum, the name's Kye. Although, I've been reading through the website for some time. I've got a fairly specific question(about boots you may have gathered), in late April my old man & I are taking a trip to the South Island, to venture up the D'Urville Valley, over Moss Pass & back down the Sabine Valley. The main purpose of this journey lies in the cool deep pools of the aforementioned rivers... Trout! Ordinarily on any hike I wear my wading boots, which are (or at least feel) exactly like my hiking boot but with a different tread, dry quicker & don't retain any water. My question is this; Given the nature of this tramp, will these boots suffice? Am I kidding myself thinking I can rely purely on these boots to get me through the trip? I've attached a link, you should be able to see what the tread of this shoe is comprised of, they are the same tread from front to back. http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/rivershed_wading_boot_streamtread.html# It may be a difficult question to answer without experience of the trail or the boot itself, so thank you for your time.
28 comments
11–20 of 28

RedRobin, do you find your feet get cold after a days tramping with river crossings and wet feet, and do trail runners stand up to a lot of thick mud?
Funny you should mention gummies Honora. When I was walking the St James about a year ago I came across a guy who was taking his daughters on their annual tramping trip and he wore gumboots the entire way. We were baffled but he was a born and bred coaster and thats just what he was comfortable in in the outdoors!
I am considering attempting to go bare feet on a few of the more gentle walks. Heard that after 20 minutes or so feet become less sensitive and it becomes easier. I reckon it would be good for walking up rivers also.
Sounds fine until you stubb your toe or skewer your foot on a stick. It's not like you'd intend to but that's why they're called accidents. I heard once about a guy who fell to his death on Taranaki and he had crampons attached to gum boots. Who would have thought?
I had a pair of outdoor safety boots that the forestry guys wear. Wore them up to the top of tongariro theres a ridge on the left hand side of the tongariro crossing up to soda springs. My boots packed up and I walked the last 45mins in sub alpine scrub and it was comfortable with 2 knee deep creek crossings. Dirty socks though Cheers MATT www.lewismatttramping.com
People got around fine for tens of thousands of years before shoes were invented. I am certain that with practice stubbing toes and avoiding spiky objects would not be a problem. Getting back onto Boots, has anyone else notice a very small selection of boots are currently avaible through the retailers. Visited half a dozen in Christchurch and did not see much that I liked.
Not so sure that people they got around fine for 1000's of years 'by choice' otherwise boots wouldn't have caught on. You think boots are hard to come by in NZ, you should see what's on offer in Oz? Not much better I can assure you.
pretty sure i wouldnt go anywhere tramping without a pair of boots on my feet!, just bought a new pair of merrell boots and they seem to be very comfy, there wasnt a lot to choose from though and i visited a few stores. have been looking for a good solid pair of new shoes too but havent found anything that spins my wheels yet!
Now there's a name to cunjure with....Spinning Wheel Boots. I wonder why nobody has thought of it before........I like it!
Have got a couple of pairs. One pair of Vasque, which are more like an over specified sneaker but real comfy on walks with easy terrain. When cleaning them recently (Ok I am a bit of an obsessive compulsive in that respect) I noted, moulded on the sole, that they were self cleaning. Can't say I have seen any evidence of it. I always have to pick all the bits out after a tramp. Or maybe they are just embarassed to do so in company and need to be locked in a dark cupboard to do their thing. Or have they become lazy because I clean them anyway?
11–20 of 28

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by BigBrown!
On 18 January 2010
Replies 27
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown