Tunnel tents

1–10 of 17

Tunnel tents (specificly hilleberg anjan3) any good as they are no where near freestand, how important is freestanding or nearly freestanding for a tent? (Hopefully makes sense)
no tent is free standing in a howling southerly
Hi It really depends on where you want to use the tent. Freestanding tents are good for areas where it may be hard to put pegs in - rocky, mountain areas or rocky river shorelines, or where there is not enough space for guy lines. They are quicker to set up (no guy lines or pegs) and are kept in place by the weight of the person and their gear. However as Geeves says, no tent is freestanding in strong winds, so most freestanding tents would need to be pegged with guylines (attached to rocks if on a hard surface) if strong winds were expected. Tunnel tents can be lighter than freestanding dome tents, and can offer more living space. They take slightly longer to set up and need space for guylines and a softer surface for pegs. The Anjan3 is a great 3 season tunnel tent, and will be fine if you are not planning to camp on rock or small surface areas. It will be fine in strong winds as long as you have pegged it out with the guy lines. As the outer does not reach the ground, it has great ventilation, but would be colder in winter (the inner is part fabric, part mesh). I have 3 Hilleberg tents - an Anjan 2, and Akto and a Nammatj 3. The Nammatj is also a tunnel tent (4 season) and I have slept in it in strong winds and it has been fine. I'm confident that the Anjan and the Nammatj are strong enough to provide protection for my son and his friends - even when camping in exposed places such as mountain ridges and summits. I hope this helps.
The other main differences between free standing dome tents and tunnel tents are 1. Snow loading - dome tents will handle this better, as snow tends to slide off due to their shape, whereas snow could lie on a tunnel tent and make it sag. Only an issue if you are away from the tent for a while (basecamping for example). 2. Wind direction - tunnel tents are great when pitched correctly into the wind (foot end towards the wind for Hilleberg tents). They will be OK if the wind direction changes (if guyed properly) but may flap a bit if the wind changes to come from the side. Dome tents will be better in handling changes in wind direction, given their almost symmetrical shape.
thanks so what what would you guys choose for 3 season tramping in nz anjan 2+ or msr hubba hubba nx
anjan 2 gt*
Best 2 man 3 season alpine tent for nz conditions? (Under 2kg?)
Hi Elee987 I would recommend the Anjan 3. The extra internal space makes it very comforatble for 2 people, and the weight is 1.9kg (only 100g more than the Anjan 2). I recommend the Anjan because it pitches with the inner already attached to the outer. This means that if you are pitching it in the rain, the inner stays dry.
Marmot force 2p?
Yes the Marmot looks good as well
1–10 of 17

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Elee987
On 12 February 2015
Replies 16
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown